Not yet a mom, but wondering…

Home Forums General Discussion Not yet a mom, but wondering…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DocHopefulDocHopeful
    Participant

Hi! I’m currently applying for med school admissions in fall 2003. If accepted, I will start school as a 29-year-old. I have spent a few years working in Japan and in California in a number of fields including film, teaching, and marketing, and I’m returning to my original passion of medicine. I am not yet married and do not yet have kids, but I do hope to someday. I’ve heard that residency is tough, so I’ve been thinking of postponing kids until after that, when I will be 35/36! Would this be the best route, or might I be able to hack it in residency? I do hope to spend time raising my kids rather than sending them to daycare all day, but I am concerned for the health of my babies if I have them at an older age. I’d love to hear any feedback from MomMDs out there with advice! 🙂

dktdkt
    Participant

Don’t worry now about residency!!! And youre not even married yet- You could meet someone who has flexible work hours or may even want to stay home- I justed finished my internal medicine residency and it wasn’t bad- I know women in all residencies who were able to have children in all different circumstances- Of course there are easier residencies- which you should seriously consider if you want time with your kids in the long run- like dermatology, radiology, medicine- and if you have family support it makes things easier as well- I would just say the while going through medical school you remember the type of lifestyle you want when you are done- If you know family is important to you, consider it in your decision- my husband is doing dermatology because he wanted a good lifestyle and he is so happy- I had friends who went into surgery because they thought it was “cool” and were pressured in medical school to be aggressive- I wonder if they are happy now- Also, the fourth year of medical school or the last year of residency are probably the best times to have a child- Hope this helps!

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Dear dkt,

Just wanted to tell you thanks much for the advice! I’ll keep it in mind as I (hopefully!) go thru school starting next fall. My best to you!

NancyNancy
    Participant

Hi dochopeful,
    I too started med school in my late 20’s and am a 2nd year now. I have no regrets so far – I love it. I think dkt had some really great advice to share. Having kids one day is a concern for me too, but I still plan on waiting til I’m nearing the end of residency. That’ll put me in my mid-30’s. I’m an optimist, so I think I’ll be just fine. And like you, I’m not even married yet! I’m thinking of a particularly grueling residency (surgery), but who knows, that may all change as I go through my clerkships in the next 2 years, and as I get closer to thinking about family. Have faith that you’ll choose the right thing for you, and that you’ll be able to balance your career goals and family as well. Good luck!

DocHopefulDocHopeful
    Participant

Dear Nancy,

It seems like we are in similar situations, and you optimism is both a relief and an inspiration to me! I’m beginning to think that whenever we decide to have kids/family, we will find a way to make it work.

I’ve just finished my secondaries and am hoping for interviews! My best to you in your studies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.