Nurse…to…MD

Home Forums Premed Students Nurse…to…MD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    xoticpnyxoticpny
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Im just wondering if a nurse can ever be a doctor. What does it takes, because I have been told that its almost “IMPOSSIBLE”.

Brooke TroutBrooke Trout
    Participant

Hi There,
    Yes, It is possible! There are many nurses who have become or are working to become Doctors. On the Old Premeds Site Mary Renard was an RN who is in Medical School now. Good Luck!
    Brooke

Valou15Valou15
    Participant

Well I wish i had answer for you, all I can say is I’m finding it hard. I have a BS in nursing,I’m 25, I’m engaged and getting married in 2003, I have no school or car loans, and the university that I like cost 32K a year, the state university cost 10k a year but, i dont like them!!!!! the insturctor I had there for chem spoke a different language and I had a hard time understanding him.They also do not accomadate evening students well I work in the ICU 12hr shifts full time and trying to find two courses that would allow me to continue to work fulltime almost impossible, I would never have time to study. 🙁 any way that all I have to ssay for now, I’m taking calc this semster but I dont know If I’m still going to go t med school. I have so much going on now I have no energy ( I work in Icu, I tech nursing as a clinical instrutor 2x a week,a nd my class) I’m dead by the time i get home. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to become a doctor, what do I do If I take out all of these loans and I donr get accepted?!!? well I guess that it, Hope you finding it easier…good luck. Val

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

I’ll preface this with, “I’m not a nurse, but….”

….a friend of mine in medical school is. She’s doing real well in the coursework and seems to be loving it. And on a side note that is really of no consequence here, lol….our dads were in the same medical school class (’68) at the same medical school. I just think it’s kind of neat.

Peace~
    Lindsey

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

My mom is an RN and she says that lots of nurses become docs, and they make the most wonderful docs, too. YOU have to follow your dream and not let people discourage you. People are often just jealous or have their own insecurities so they get their jollies discouraging others who have the courage to try to achieve their dreams. After all, many told me that as a mom I must “be crazy” to try to go to medical school. In one ear and out the other–and here I am in medical school.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Yours,
    Elise

womansurgeonwomansurgeon
    Participant

I’m a doc, and I can rattle off several former nurses who are docs now. Elise’s mom is correct: most former nurses make great docs. They already have a good basis in medicine coming into their training, and they have the additional perspectives on both patient care and on working with ancillary staff which traditional students often lack.

Val, it sounds like you’re experiencing the usual hardships of premedical training (poverty, scheduling difficulties, financials…) but I don’t see that any of it pertains to your being a nurse really.

It’s not only not impossible to go from nurse to doc, it’s fairly common. Usually people with previous medical backgrounds (RN, EMT, RT, etc) are respected for their additional knowledge and insight during their medical training.

Go for it!

Anne7Anne7
    Participant

I’m a fourth-year medical student, and two of my classmates are former nurses. We also have a former ambulance driver, a former surgical tech, and a former veterinary tech– and this is fairly typical of the other classes at my school also. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it. 🙂 Anne

2badr2badr
    Participant

:confused: Well I have read all the comments. At this point I am still confused . I am 28 and is worling in CCU as RN. I have been planning to go to medical school for the longest but I seem to put it off. I just finished my master’s as a geriatric and adult primary nurse practitioner but I am not satisfied. I was riding high and very happy to start my premed this fall 2002 but I got closed out. At this point in time..I do not know. I am failrly happy with my position and I make enough money and maybe even more once I start working as a nurse practitioner without the additional stress of going through school AGAIn plus residency and possibly fellowship. I do not know I am very confused. I am basically worried about my future once I become a doctor. Will I be successful. Has there been a doctor who has not been successful? I know the market out there is very competetive..what happens to the ones who are female and possible cannot fight the competition? Do they make it??? I know this is not the right way of looking at this situation but I am just being realistic?????

2badr2badr
    Participant

:confused: Well I have read all the comments. At this point I am still confused . I am 28 and is worling in CCU as RN. I have been planning to go to medical school for the longest but I seem to put it off. I just finished my master’s as a geriatric and adult primary nurse practitioner but I am not satisfied. I was riding high and very happy to start my premed this fall 2002 but I got closed out. At this point in time..I do not know. I am failrly happy with my position and I make enough money and maybe even more once I start working as a nurse practitioner without the additional stress of going through school AGAIn plus residency and possibly fellowship. I do not know I am very confused. I am basically worried about my future once I become a doctor. Will I be successful. Has there been a doctor who has not been successful? I know the market out there is very competetive..what happens to the ones who are female and possible cannot fight the competition? Do they make it??? I know this is not the right way of looking at this situation but I am just being realistic?????

NurseToDocNurseToDoc
    Participant

WELL HERE IS ONE RN THAT IS GOING TO BE A DOC !!! I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE BUT I THINK BEING A NURSE GIVES YOU A MORE REALISTIC VIEW OF MEDICINE THESE DAYS. I AM 29 MARRIED LESS THAN TWO YRS AND I WANT KIDS. WE WILL JUST HAVE TO WORK IT OUT BECAUSE I REALLY WANT THIS. SOME MAY FROWN ON ME BUT AFTER MAKING ROUNDS OF US SCHOOLS IT SEEMS THAT I WILL BE GOING TO SCHOOL IN THE CARRIBEAN.THEY HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION AND MY PERSONAL SAVINGS WILL COVER IT. SINCE I WANT PRIMARY CARE AND NOT SURGERY OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT I SHOULD BE FINE. I START NEXT SEPTEMBER WITH NO FEAR !! WORK HARD AND PRAY AND IT WILL ALL COME TOGETHER. MUCH LUCK TO ALL OF YOU GREAT LADIES IN THIS FORUM !!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.