ob/gyn wannabe

Home Forums Introductions & Connections ob/gyn wannabe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chasityjochasityjo
    Participant

Hey my name is Chasity and I am a pre-med student. I am a mom of a 15 month old child and 22.i have never felt this kind of desire to accomplish something like I do with being a doctor.Since I have told my family about my desire I have gotten several different reactions. The most common one has been laughter. It is kind of hurtful but I can’t help but to keep that driving me. I need alot of guidence and alot of advice, so if anyone would like to share I would love to know. I must say that this web-site has been such an inspiration. thank you

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Welcome, Chasity! 😀

I hope you’ll find lots of good info here. Many of us are “nontraditional” students and there’s great info in the forums.

(I think I wore myself out replying to “shattered dream” so check out her replies to see my (touchy) take on other people’s negative attitudes.)

Theresa

ClaireClaire
    Participant

My post is a little late, but I wanted to welcome you anyway.

I’m a 1st yr med student straight out of school, and I don’t have any children, but I think I identify with you a little on the laughter issue.

When I was in my earlier years of high school my grades were not as good as they could have been. Even though I had always wanted to be a doctor, I did not want to admit it to anyone because I was afraid of getting that response. And at first I did- that, and the awkward silence where they go “Umm… okay… You’re aiming high aren’t you!”. However as my grades improved significantly those responses occurred less and less often, as gradually people accepted that I was motivated to succeed.

I just wanted to tell you, don’t ever let yourself be discouraged by other people’s opinions of what you can and can’t do.

I found that the key to achieving my goals was to just ignore those reactions (easier said than done, I know) and tell myself that I could do it. Everytime I faced another tough subject or assignment, I just convinced myself that I could do it because I wanted it so badly.

And in the end, I did succeed- I don’t think anyone was more shocked than me (despite the ‘positive self-talk’) when I got offers from four different medical schools and then had to decide which one to go to. Five years ago I would never have dared to imagine myself where I am now. I truly believe that if you want something bad enough, you can get it, no matter how out of reach it may seem to yourself or others.

The kind of desire you have should not be ignored, it is the sign of a great doctor-to-be! The profession needs people with that kind of passion.

Hang in there and good luck with your goals!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.