Older premed/mom with 2 kids needs mentor

Home Forums Mentoring – Find a Mentor Older premed/mom with 2 kids needs mentor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

Hi,

I’m new to MomMD, and I’m happy to have found a website that seems to have so much helpful information. After being unfulfilled in the Navy for 10 years, and after staying at home with my kids for 2 years, I have finally realized that I want to be a doctor. I came to this realization almost 2 months ago, but since then I’ve been going back and forth about how this long process will affect my family. My kids are young, and at times I feel guilty about wanting to pursue this dream of mine. But I still have this yearning inside to go for it and figure things out as we go along. Balancing school and family life, and then later work and family life, worries me a little. I also worry about being in my mid-30’s and deciding to go back to school for such a long time. For this part, I think I’m mainly worried about what other people think, but deep down inside, I still want to do it even though people think I’m crazy. Remarkably my husband is very supportive. But I’d like to find a mentor who has had similar experiences or one who has insight into what I’m going through.

boysmomboysmom
    Participant

Hi DO Hopeful,

Not sure about the mentor thing, but I am on the same path in a similar position. You are in good company here (also check out http://www.oldpremeds.org )

I am 37, four kids, been home with them for about 12 years. Now starting the prereqs needed for med school. I plan to go the DO route, and I am sure you can find lots of discussion on that topic here.

Do I feel like I am nuts? Absolutely. Do I feel a bit driven (my gp generously called this obsession a “calling”). Yes. I also have a very supportive husband, I know for me this career choice would be impossible without his backing.

I have not told lots of people my plans, before I had baby number four I was entertaining the whole DO thing and I told a few people (who told their friends etc) and I regretted that choice. So this time I am just doing what I need to do to prepare and telling hardly anyone. I know that I have the support of my family and that is all that really matters.

Best of luck and welcome to MomMD, this is a great forum and a terrific place to get some of that support.

Liz

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

Hi Liz,

Thanks for sharing your story . . . I feel so much better knowing I’m not the only one crazy enough to pursue this, at this age and with kids! I have already told a few friends about my plans, and they have tried to steer me into other much shorter directions. I actually looked into some of their suggestions, but I know that being an osteopathic doctor is really what I want to be.

Since I have a BA in English, I have a lot of sciences to complete before I can take the MCATs and apply to med school. I’m planning to take Intro to Chem in the spring to refresh myself in Chem since I haven’t taken it since high school. Plus it will help me ease into some kind of schedule with my kids before I dive into the prereqs. I’m excited about starting classes, but also feeling bad about my little one being in day care so much – something I originally wanted to avoid until I decided to become a doctor. I’m still in the process of researching all my options – daycares and preschools are so expensive!

Also, we don’t live close to an osteopathic medical school. But we decided that we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Just getting started is the hardest part for me right now. For weeks I’ve been doubting myself, questioning my age, wondering how the kids will be affected by this, etc. I guess that’s why I went to other people to get their opinions and advice. But I know I definitely have my husband behind me and he’s a great father to the kids, so I’m slowly realizing that somehow we’ll be able to make it all work out in the end.

Where is a good forum where I can ask questions about osteopathic medicine?

Thanks again,
    Vanessa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.