One piece of advice to future docs..

Home Forums General Discussion One piece of advice to future docs..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

What’s the one piece of advice you would like to give to all future doctors out there?

Sethina

foreignerforeigner
    Participant

This is something I would advice to the medical students in their pre-clinical years: always picture a patient as the ultimate reason why you need to understand this … (biochemical pathway, anatomical relation, etc.)
    Of course, you will have to find first an explanation why what you are studying is important for the patient (it’s not always obvious :scratchchin: ) . Just thinking about it will force you to understand the subject better, and you will retain this information much longer. And second, once you find the meaning of it, you will be much more motivated to go on studying 🙂 .

Maybe it is expected the “one piece of advice you would like to give to all future doctors out there” should be something more noble, like “follow your dreams”. My belief is that in order to be be a good doctor, you need 2 things: heart and brains. You should care about your patients and love to help them, and you also need the medical knowledge that you will apply to help them. What I offered was an advice for the second part only, I guess it is your entire life that shapes your heart.

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

Short and sweet: “Don’t borrow a penny more than you absolutely need for medical school.”

rugratdocrugratdoc
    Participant

Amen Gracie,
    We all have to pay it back at some time. It is not “free” money…it is debt.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.