Oprah show about medical mistakes

Home Forums General Discussion Oprah show about medical mistakes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

I just watched Oprah’s show about medical mistakes. I didn’t see the beginning of the show, but of the guests I saw: the water broke of a woman who was pregnant with twins, but the hospital told her she needed to wait for her doctor to deliver her babies vaginally – 4 days later she delivered, and one of the twins has brain damage and is parapalegic; another woman had a c-section and six weeks later gauze was discovered in her body; another woman was given chemotherapy even though she didn’t have cancer.

Dr. Gupta from CNN was the only doctor she had on the show, and he provided some advice for people to follow if they need to have surgery. But the show kind of portrayed doctors as not interested in the patient’s complaints or concerns, or not taking the patient seriously when he/she had a complaint. I know that we are all human, and that we all make mistakes, and I also know that these cases are not representative of how all doctors are. But as someone who wants to become a doctor, I am wondering is there any way to avoid making or at least limiting the chance of making such tragic mistakes?

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

Sorry . . . I didn’t see the topic under “Debates” about “Residents and work-hours.” I suppose that topic could fall under the Oprah show topic, except that I don’t know whether or not the doctors mentioned on the show were residents.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Originally posted by DO Hopeful:
    But as someone who wants to become a doctor, I am wondering is there any way to avoid making or at least limiting the chance of making such tragic mistakes?

The BEST way to avoid medical mistakes is to be actively involved in your own health. Many times people myself included, are “intimidated” by doctors and we’re afraid to express our concerns. But I can tell you from expereince that voicing my concerns to a doctor has saved my life and that of my child.

The bottom line is that is somethig doesn’t feel quite right then you have a right to express your concerns. If you have a doctor you don’t feel comfoortable disagreeing with, then it may be time to find a new doctor. I’d bet many times if you asked a victum of a medical mistake if the had any reservations before the mistake occured, almost everyone would say yes.

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

Someone just had a retained piece of guaze here ( but vaginally so she certainly did not die)…but these things unfortuantely happen- most hospitals have ALL SORTS of committee’s looking into errors, resaons for them, state boards review you if you screw up….and nurses save your butt all the time…and pharmacists…kind of a checks and balances system

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.