Organic Chemistry

Home Forums General Discussion Organic Chemistry

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Hi All,

I keep reading posts that sound like Organic Chemistry is a real nightmare for a lot of people. I just completed it, really loved it, and did pretty well (#3 in class for lecture, #2 in class for lab). I am wondering if that is as tough as it gets? I have not yet taken Physics or Calculus, but sure hope I can maintain my gpa…So I am kind of fishing here, but since I survived O-Chem with a 3.6 can I expect my grades to stay about the same?

Val

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

How well you like organic depends a lot on your teacher. Lots of teachers just make you memorize everything and it can be quite tedious. My teacher helped us understand the mechanisms and to figure things out without memorizing.

I think the same goes for Physics and Calc. Both classes have the potential to be horrible, but a good teacher can make all the difference.

Pam

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Hi Pam,

I’m a little concerned about the Physics and Calc because I struggle with math…I do well in it, but I just don’t enjoy it, so I don’t work hard enough at it. I am taking them together in hopes that the physics will help me conceptualize the math better, does that make sense? Anyway, I’m sure I’ll muddle through–

Thanks,

Val

Brenda MayBrenda May
    Participant

Taking Physics and Calc together will either hurt you or save you if you do not like math. Are you taking Calculus based physics or non-calc physics? Personally, I had all of my calculus done before taking Physics and it made a HUGE difference and I aced the Calculus based Physics courses as a result. There is a lot of math in physics so don’t jeopordize your physics grades if you aren’t REALLY comfortable with doing A LOT of math.

Brenda May

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

Ok guys… ready to hear a secret?

I never took calculus! (I had a horrible Trig experience in 10th grade… and though I am good at math, I tend to avoid it if at all possible). From what I remember, the majority of med schools do not require it… just a year of math. I took stats.

If you are a math whiz, or want to take calc, go for it. But you do not have to take calc-based physics for med school. I took algebra-based physics, aced both of them, and that was that.

Orgo does depend on the teacher… my Orgo I teacher was awful and my second semester teacher was great. But that still doesn’t mean I like Orgo. 😎 And tell ya what, you will almost never use it again, except in the most general terms. But of course that can be said about most of the basic science classes in med school as well. 😉

Linda

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Hi Linda,

Believe me, I have been trying to figure out how to avoid calc all together…but BIOCHEM is the most logical degree for me (with the classes I already have) and it requires the full calc sequence 🙁 I was on the UW website today tho, and I think I have figured out a different track, Technical Communications (you can tell I like to write). It will give me a lighter load prior to MCAT, algebra based physics and no math this year. Also, a non-medical option if I suffer major burnout at some time. YAHOO! Wish me luck…

And thanks everyone for your input!

Val

missbonniemissbonnie
    Participant

Hey-
    Calc really isn’t so bad.I took up to calc2 (required for biochem at my school).

SOME schools DO require calculus..so you may want to look into this (MSAR for example). Off the top of my head, I think Johns Hopkins is one of them – but double checkl.

glenvalley-
    biochem requires p chem, which is pretty math intensive – you might want to lok into that.

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

If I remember right, Hopkins also wanted a completely separate application. They don’t go through AMCAS. Neither does Harvard.

You are right, it does depend on the school. I was accepted at five schools, though, and none of them required it.

I admire those who battle through Calc. Better you than me. But then you would probably scream at one of my favorite undergrad classes: Medieval Political Thought. 🙂

Linda

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Linda I have just one thing to say….ewwwwwwwww!
    :p
    Happy 4th!

Val

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.