Part time as internist

Home Forums Women Physicians Part time as internist

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    glenmdglenmd
    Participant

What is exactly part time work for an internist? I will be working from next week on Monday to Friday from 9am to 1 pm. I know that I will never get out of the office at one but still it is an improvement from my current 6:30pm. I will still be on call every 3rd weekend. What is a fair salary for this kind of arrangement? ( I cuurently make 120,000? Thanks for your advise

elizeliz
    Participant

I am a FP in Florida who has been working parttime since Jan 2002. I have 2 partners who work full time. We are outpt only so this may be a little bit different than your case. I work M-W-F 8a-5p (lunch from 1-2) so these are considered 8 hour days. My partners work 5 days with 1 half day for “administrative duties”. The half day is 3 hours. They decided to call the work week 37 hours (subtracting the 3 hour administrative day). They then consider that I work 24 out of 37 hours and pay me 24/37 what one of the partners who joined the same time I did gets paid. I basically take 50-60% of the call they take but that was there decision-I was fine with equal call.
    I decided to do this because I worked “half days” 8-1 at the end of my pregnancy. I would still be in the office until after 3:30 do to phone calls, staff questions, paperwork. It was extremely frustrating. I just found it worked better for me to work 3 full days rather than work half days and yet only arrive home 1 to 2 hours earlier than I would on a full day.
    I hope this helps.

glenmdglenmd
    Participant

Thank you very much for your advise. You just gave me a couple of good ideas that I am going to discuss with my employer. I agree that working every day “half day” is not practical. I see myself getting out of the office 1-2 hours late. Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.