Part-time job

Home Forums Medical Students Part-time job

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    undecidedundecided
    Participant

Just curious..for all those struggling med students or postbaccs out there, what jobs (if any?) are you holding now to support yourself through the daily life? I’m going to start postbaccs soon and will be quitting my full-time job, so I’m looking into something that will pay my bills and give me some experience in the medical field as well..

EM momEM mom
    Participant

I was a nursing assistant…pay isn’t great but you can make a lot of contacts and learn a tremendous amount while doing it. Plus, you can work evenings, nights or weekends to fit it in with your schedule, and if you need more money you can almost pick up more shifts. The other thing that I would recommend is EMT…you can become one relatively quickly and it will teach you a ton! Good luck!

undecidedundecided
    Participant

HOw quick is relatively quickly? I thought I would need to get certification for CPR and Emergency Response and then take a couple of courses at school?

undecidedundecided
    Participant

Hmm, never mind, I just found some more info on the web, thanks! I just need sign up for one of those 140 hour long courses. Thanks!

BellaBooBellaBoo
    Participant

I worked on an ambulance as an EMT before starting med school. Ok experience, bad pay. Now, as a med student I am an ‘Eye Bank Technician.’ This means I work very closely with the Eye/Cornea Donation process and it is a very fulfilling, challenging, and flexible job. I am also well compensated for my time. I spend an average of less than 5 hours a week on the job, so while the pay is great, it is not always very predictable. Make some calls around the area and find the organ donor services organizations – there are a wide variety of jobs in fields you may have never thought about. Good luck!

undecidedundecided
    Participant

Hmm, what sort of training did you need for that?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.