Part-time residency a good idea??

Home Forums Residents Part-time residency a good idea??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ddv_dup1ddv_dup1
    Participant

Hi…..I’m a MS3, wife and mother of one (not at all in that order). My husband is also MS3 and we’ve started looking into residency programs together. The biggest question I have, up to this point, is whether or not I should do a part-time residency. My daughter is 8 months, so she’ll be around 2yrs old when I graduate. We all know how crucial these first years are for our kids, so I want to spend as much time with my daughter as I can (I know, I picked a tough profession for that one). If anyone has any thoughts on part-time residencies, or did one themselves, I would appreciate your insight and advice.
    Thanks, Danielle

Kristin MDKristin MD
    Participant

You could do what I did and take the year after graduation off. You will be interviewing during that year off, however, and you won’t be able to couples match with your husband. By the time you start residency your child will be ready for preschool anyway but beware because she will get VERY used to having you around. The transition may be worse than if you just keep her in the childcare situation that she is currently in and just go straight through and finish a year sooner.

GOOD LUCK

Kristin MDKristin MD
    Participant

As for part time residencies, I’ve heard they are really time consuming anyway and they just last longer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.