pet hate

Home Forums General Discussion pet hate

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound catty, but this is just one of my pet hates.

I can not believe how atrocious the spelling is on this website. Everyone is talking about becoming a doctor, yet they can’t seem to grasp the basic fundamentals of English spelling and grammar!!

For instance, in one articles (not even forums!) Brandon Knight states “…a Black Tie affair for the graduating residence of her program” AND HE DESCRIBES HIMSELF AS AN AUTHOR!!!
    Surely any 15 year old knows that a residence is a place where you live. A medical resident is a singular noun, the plural of which being residents!!. Brandon then goes on to use the word residence in exactly the same context a FURTHER SEVEN TIMES!!! :tired: 😡

I have also seen words like interfear and sculp and generally appalling spelling errors. These aren’t just typos..

How can people be intelligent enough to study medicine and become competent doctors, if they can’t understand the fundamentals of our language?

I’m sorry, I truly don’t mean to offend, but I think that spelling is one thing everyone should have a good grasp of when they leave primary school!

Participant

“For instance, in one articles (not even forums!)”

sorry, I meant to say in one of the articles … This gets me so mad that my own typing goes bad…

Participant

“High Doctor so-and-so let me introduce myself, I’m Christy’s wife.” Being married to a Doctor is difficult enough but being married to an orthopedic residence is like being married to the Marine core.”

More from the same article. Count the mistakes!

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

To what article are you referring? :confused:

BTW, in forums, spelling, abbreviations, and typos are generally overlooked unless a person cannot be understood.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Originally posted by :
    I can not believe how atrocious the spelling is on this website. Everyone is talking about becoming a doctor, yet they can’t seem to grasp the basic fundamentals of English spelling and grammar!!

It is unbecoming of you to make such generalizations. I also find it ironic that you are irritated by grammatical errors and at the same time you use double exclamation points at the end of your sentence as quoted above. That sounds being extreme, doesn’t it?

Obviously you have an issue with the above mentioned author. It may be more appropriate of you to try and express your feelings to him. I somehow get the impression that you feel as if by having made the errors you have mentioned, discredits this forum. If you do feel this way, you could have sent a private mail to Sethina, the founder of this website, to express your concerns. By doing so, you would not have been perceived as being distasteful, and as possibly being a person having inadequate feelings about one’s self.
    Dana

Participant

Originally posted by PremedRN:
    [b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by :
    [qb] That sounds being extreme, doesn’t it?
    [/b]

That sounds making sense, doesn’t it?

Look, no need to get your panties in a bunch. I was just saying that some people (like myself) feel irritated that our own language is not seen as a priority any more. :banghead:

I can assure you that I have no issues with the author mentioned.

I can also assure you that I have no feelings of inadequacy. I was just wondering if anyone else lamented the decline in literacy that is so common these days.

Sorry to have ruffled feathers. I shall now go and self-flagellate in repentance for my sin of criticism.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

No need of trying to prove yourself to me.

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Originally posted by :
    [b]
    I can not believe how atrocious the spelling is on this website. Everyone is talking about becoming a doctor, yet they can’t seem to grasp the basic fundamentals of English spelling and grammar!![/b]

I think the fact that you couched this pet peeve as a crticism of everyone on the website is the reason that you ruffled feathers.

You aren’t the only one who finds the spelling/grammar annoying at times. Maybe if you had presented it a little less rudely…

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

Doctors are not usually strong “English major” type folk. Actually, in my experience, some of the best scientists are horrible spellers. (Everyone has their strong points I guess)

Who are you? Why not register? That way we can check your spelling every time you post.

Tell us about yourself. Are you a physician?

doc dredloc 2bdoc dredloc 2b
    Participant

Look , speaking for just myself, I think you should change your name to because I don’t care about grammatical rules when I’m posting on a site on an informal basis like you do. By the way, it’s not “our” language, we borrowed parts of it from Latin, Old English, Spanish, French, Greek…etc.
    Need I say more?

shauna ,MS,MomMD2Bshauna,MS,MomMD2B
    Participant

Originally posted by :
    [b] “For instance, in one articles (not even forums!)”

sorry, I meant to say in one of the articles … This gets me so mad that my own typing goes bad… [/b]

See? It happens to us all. No big deal! :p

Shauna

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.