Pleased to say “I’m accepted!”

Home Forums Premed Students Pleased to say “I’m accepted!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mary B-B ToBeDocMary B-B ToBeDoc
    Participant

Hi…haven’t posted as much as I used to, but I am one of the original members from “way back” in ’99 (IOWs, a true “square peg”!).

I interviewed this past Monday at EVVCOM, which is the brand new med school in Virginia. Pleased to say “I’m in”! :goodvibes: The Dean called me herself…this happened fast!

When my youngest started kindergarten, I started my post-bacc at a satellite of Penn State. Did everything I could think of to gain more medical experience (i.e. research, volunteering, hospice work, shadowing, med conferences/CME, mini-med school, et al.) and take the courses. It’s been fun, lots of hard work…and it’s proved out now!

…now “all” we have to do b/w now and August is find work for my husband, sell this house, move, buy/lease a house…whew! But we’ll do it!

For those of you who are applying now, or will be applying, please take a look at The Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine at http://www.evvcom.org …it’s going to be a great school!

Take good care everyone!

mommd2bmommd2b
    Participant

Congratulations, Mary!!!!!

:goodvibes:

Kris

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Yay!!! Congratulations, Mary!!! 🙂

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

That’s great! Congrats! I hadn’t heard about that med school! I’m going to look into it now!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Best news of 2003 so far! Glad to follow your journey to this exciting point. Congratulations and keep us posted.

Sethina

lorilori
    Participant

A BIG HUGE CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! :goodvibes:

Participant

Thanks everyone! I believe it’s going to be a really good school; there’s a lot of energy being poured into it.

I’m still letting “my news” sink in…feels good. We have a lot to do in the next few months: sell our house, move, buy/lease a house, etc. My husband is job hunting. Our sons are excited about Virginia in general because we’ve spent our past 3 family vacations there.

I’ll post more about the school as the year gets rolling. Maybe some of you will apply there! Take good care everyone and wish us luck! 🙂

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Mary!!! Congratulations on your acceptance! That is the best news! I’m so happy for you. I hope you and your family can find a great place in Virginia. I know you will be a great doctor!

:cloud9: :cloud9: 😀 😀 😀

Pam

Participant

Hi! Thank you…yes, I’m still on :cloud9: !

It happened pretty fast: a VCOM admissions officer called to say “where’s you secondary?” (I hadn’t been invited to fill one out yet, but they had my primary, scores and LORs already). Sent the secondary in and here I am!

For anyone who is applying this year, VCOM has extended its application deadline, so you might still be able to add the school to your aacomas primary application. And if there’s anyone here who’s also been accepted to EVVCOM, please feel free to message me privately.

Hope your sons are fine. I saw the pictures! My diagnosis is ECK (extremely cute kids)! Take care…

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

Congratulations, girl! I hope you love medical school as much as I do. It is absolutely AWESOME!!! I’m wondering, though….did you ask anyone what the purpose of starting a new medical school was? I’d really be interested in hearing more about it.

Cool for you….

Peace~
    Lindsey

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

Congratulations Mary!!!! :rotfl:

You must be extremely happy…sounds like a wonderful school!

Take care,

Annie

LinLin
    Participant

Congratulations!!!
    Enjoy! 🙂

UCLABruinUCLABruin
    Participant

Way to go! You’re going to do great! 😀

Participant

Thanks for the sweet comments here; I really appreciate it! VCOM is affiliated with Virginia Tech Univ…about 18 years ago, an foundation/endowment was set up to build a vet school and a med school. The vet school was built almost immediately. Timing on the med school, at the time, wasn’t “ripe”…but now, with the aging of our population and some exodus from medical practice, more physicians are needed. Time’s ripe! So the new school has been under wraps for almost 2 decades, but there were plans for it for that long as well.

I first heard about VCOM at the annual Women in Medicine and Science/Pathways to Leadership Conference last March in Richmond. (Very cool to see over 300 female physicians, residents, and students together! This year’s conference is Friday, Feb 21…again in Richmond…check out http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/cme/calendar.html).

The mission/purpose of VCOM can be viewed on-line at http://www.evvcom.org …another thing to check out! While there will be an emphasis on primary care, I was upfront in the interviews about all my various medical/health/psychological interests and I’m “in”. 😀

I enjoyed my day there…the plant will be terrific and there are plans to start a research building ( for medical research) right behind the school. That will get started ASAP once the main building is done. I’ll post more later…if anyone else has questions, post them here & I’ll answer what I can. Take care!

NY_MD2BNY_MD2B
    Participant

Congratulations Mary!! 🙂 Job well done! :grouphug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.