p=md?

Home Forums Medical Students p=md?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

I don’t like it but i may have to settle for it. i had a phenomenally stressful week after the hurricane here and had a histo exam. i did okay- got above average but i’ve had the class before!!! so it’s amazing what a difference your state of mind makes. anyway i think that i am going to have to resign myself to the fact that i will just only pass especially since you have to get 95% to get honors. i hope this doesn’t put me out of the runnings for a competitive residency. will this all still be worth it if i have to end up in a specialty that i don’t like but have to settle for since i only got Ps in my classes?
    is there anyone else who has resigned themselves to P=MD because of family comittments?

DonnaDonna
    Participant

Thank God for P=MD or as we say here, C=MD (well, C- technically). I’m definitely having a different route due to family commitments. I’m passing by lots of leadership opportunities and such, but I’ve also talked to doctors who say that 3rd year is what really counts. For whatever residency you want, just make sure you get a) high board scores if it’s competitive, b) honors in your rotations for that and related rotations (i.e. for psych get honors in psych, neurology, and medicine), and c) research (if it’s a competitive research). I’ve been told residency placement is more like a job interview – you have to fit there and they have to think you’ll fit in with their philosophy and environment – rather than a purely high score type of thing (1st and 2nd year grades don’t count much anyway for it). Good luck! I struggle with what I give up everyday, too, so it’s nice to have company! Btw, i know someone who had 2 kids in medical school and finished it in 5 years instead of 4 (did a year of research) AND is going for derm.. so don’t be diswayed!

pkitty3pkitty3
    Participant

I’m in the same boat. In undergrad, I always had to be at the top of the class. I guess that’s why we’re here, right?
    But now, after being married, during the first 2 years, I just tried to balance school and personal time. In retrospect, I think that is the reason why the first 2 years really weren’t bad at all. However, some of my classmates who studied all the time said that those years were really, really difficult. So I guess that in a way, the p=md philosophy not only gets you by in school, but makes your life a whole lot happier, too.
    However, 3rd year so far, has been a different story!

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

After this week and thinking of the fact that they are going to dump another class on us in 2 weeks, i asked the administration about doing it in 5 years and they said that they will get me in to talk to the right person but basically that option is really only for people doing poorly and that i am doing too well right now. i am not one to let my grades slip or get pergnant just to be able to do this and was really trying to head off disaster but it doens’t work like that i guess.

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

I WILL NOT RESIGN MYSELF TO C=MD!!!!!

I have tried adn tried but I just can’t seem to accept it. We just finished our first exams and I did ok, one B and two high C’s, but that won’t happen next time! I have finally gotten my study groove and I know how I studied wrong for this set. I talked to my husband about it and we have worked out a timeline to accomodate both of our study needs. I wouldn’t mind just going into Ob/Gyn but I still want my options open incase I do decide to push for, say, plastic surgery. I don’t think there is anything wrong with P=Md and sometimes I wish that I could go with that myself, probably after the next block of tests!

DrLucyDrLucy
    Participant

I have also had an enormous amount of trouble accepting that I may have to settle for C’s. It is extremely frustrating because, as most of us are, I am an overachieving fool that flips out if I am prepared for anything less than 100% on a test.

I feel like a failure with C’s. I know C=MD, but it is just so hard to swallow. And then you get the show-off know-it-alls in lab and other classes who spout off everything they have memorized already. I am truly sorry, but I just haven’t memorized everything 3 weeks ahead of time like they apparently have.

I feel frustrated by this and resentful of their freedom to study. I get up a 4:00am almost every morning to study and sometimes skip class (ONLY to study)and then professors think you are slacking off or something.

Today, in fact, the Cell Biology professor made a snyde comment to me about how I might be more familiar with a certain example he used “during lecture” if I had attended that lecture. I have only missed that class like once, for goodness sake! That’s one test I cannot wait to make an A on!!! 😡 Hopefully, I can….anyway, I still have C=MD, don’t I???

With regard to skipping classes…..I find lately that sometimes I have no choice but to skip class in order to increase the number of studyable hours. I just have to. I can’t stand doing it really…it just makes me feel guilty and like I’ve missed something…..but I can’t see any other way. :confused:

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

I find lately that sometimes I have no choice but to skip class in order to increase the number of studyable hours. I just have to. I can’t stand doing it really…it just makes me feel guilty

CLASS?! Whats that!!??? :goodvibes:

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

I think that there is a difference in C=md and P=md the way i am thinking about it. at the school i attend, honors could be something like 92%+ depending on the curve, high pass like 88%-92% and Pass- 70%-87%. so you can kill yourself and still potentially get a P if you get 87% ( traditional B) or not kill yourself and get somewhere in that range and still pass. i am not aiming low but sometimes i do wonder if i am stressing out unneccesarily with P still= md. My goal is to study as hard as i can and aim as high as i can but i still that that is probbaly less than if i didn’t have a family.
    regarding class attendance, they just dropped another class on us this week. i took this week to feel thinsg out and knwo that deifnitley eahc week i will miss 1 or 2 mornings or days in order to get enough suyding in. with being at shcool 9-4 every day how am i suppsoed ot get enough studying in? i am going to try to concentrate this on the days with the most not taking service classes but I can’t do that. i honestly think that class helps me but independnet studying helps me more so i have to try to balance the two.

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

ours is a little different we have:
    honors
    high pass
    pass
    low pass
    fail

They still haven’t told us wich numerical grades go with which (obviously fail is under 70) because this is the first year they have done this. We have numbers until teh end of the semester and then the semester average is turned into a letter grade. I would just be happy with high pass.

emomdocemomdoc
    Participant

I am so happy to have come across this thread, because I have been struggling with the whole p=md issue. Before I started med school I had tried to convince myself (and my husband) that I would be fine as long as I pass and that the lack of letter grades at my school would take some of the pressure off to get straight A’s like I did in undergrad. The only thing is that now I feel like a failure because I haven’t honored yet! Instead of relief at passing (which I did feel at first:) I am feeling like I am failing just because I know I could do better. The whole perfectionist thing is killing me.

The other problem is that I feel guilty when I skip lectures, but the time is so much better spent studying at home. I waste two hours a day driving back and forth, and the notes cover EVERYTHING presented in lecture, so logically I don’t need to be there, but I still feel bad about taking days off to study. How do you get passed that???

I really need to get over these things because I am stressing myself and my husband needlessly. And this is still only the beginning…

BellaBooBellaBoo
    Participant

It was also a struggle for me at first to accept the P=MD mentality. I think being pregnant since the first month of med school really helped, though. Suddenly I was much more concerned with just getting through without passing out in lab. When I interviewed for med school, I had not one, but several profs/students tell me to decide right now which I would be. Since I’ve always struggled thinking I’m making a decision that could take me from my family, I made the choice to be a P=MD gal. It’s the best choice I could have made. At our school, we have Pass and Pass with Honors. To get Honors in my class, you’d literally have to devote the major portion of your life to studying, since Honors is defined as the top 20% of the class, no matter the numerical grade. So, in my class of anal gunnners, I would have to get somewhere in the 93% to get an honors grade. Otherwise, from 70-93% it’s all the same: Pass. I consider this a blessing because it helps me to allow myself to pass without so much guilt. I have to remind myself that I’m doing this to serve others, and a number grade is not always the best indicator of how good a doctor you will be.

Anyone reading this who is still contemplating the issue, I highly advise you to decide before you start med school whether you’ll be an honors or a pass gal. And the best advice I could give for a mom who wants to make family her number one priority is to let down your pride and settle for the P.

Love, Sarah

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

i am struggling with this still. the thing is i am seemingly study quite a bit but i think that the stress of having a family and having to coordinate any move outside of my schedule etc and etc i not allowing me to perform my best. in order to study the amount i think i need to study, i have to lose sleep, and “me” time so that it doesn’t cut into fmaily time and inevitably it still does in one way or another even if it is from my mood- cranky from being tired or just plain stressed. so i think that i am going to have to go with p=md.

BeckieBeckie
    Participant

Hi Vanessa

I was wondering if someone goes for P=MD, does that mean they can still get into a residency like diagnostic radiology?

p.s.
    Thank you for the books!! :boggled:

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

i don’t know. from what i hear third year rotation grades and board scores are looked at more than grades from the first two years. some schools don’t even have grades for those two years. so how do you compare students from schools with and without grades? the boards. so hopefully if i concentrate more on udnerstanding rather than memorization that wlll help on the boards. i think this is healthier than stresssing over grades. for example i was stressing over a test that i took where i made some really dumb mistakes. i got a sick feeling whenever i thought about how many i got wrong. however when i looked at my average, that particular class isn’t curved so i would have a honors grades right now because of my average. why on earth was i stressing over one test?
    beyond that, if i can’t get into radiology then i have to figure that’s not the field for me.

BeckieBeckie
    Participant

Hi Vanessa
    Thanks for the reply!! I know how you feel about stressing about a test.

Take care,
    Beckie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.