Possible to return after being SAHM for years?

Home Forums Women Physicians Possible to return after being SAHM for years?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    justsayingjustsaying
    Participant

Has anyone returned to medicine or successful non clinical career after break of 5 or more years? How did you do it? What options did you look at?

sahmdsahmd
    Participant

Yes…I will send you a private message.

ItohItoh
    Participant

I am wondering the same too..can I ever go back to practise…??

kpzr /9145kpzr/9145
    Participant

I don’t see why not! You have the same training as everyone else. May take a little while to get up to speed but you will be amazed at how much comes back. Go for it! The longest I took off was four months for maternity leave but my first day back was like I never left…

Dr .IDr.I
    Participant

I have the same question and am looking for someone to give advice about re-entering psychiatry after being a stay at home mom.

sahmdsahmd
    Participant

Itoh and Dr.I, I will send you PM’s as well, but it will have to be tomorrow….

Dr .IDr.I
    Participant

Oh, thank you so much.

Dr .IDr.I
    Participant

I even tried at the VA, saying I would work for free for a year if they would re-train/supervise me. The director said OK, but then I could not fulfill the online application requirement of references within the past 4 years – even to volunteer. Also interviewed with a group doing bio-identical hormones, supplements, exercise & nutrition at their outlying clinic where they really needed Dr.’s and they train Dr.’s for 6 weeks and was not offered the position.

Dr .IDr.I
    Participant

The only other thing a friend of mine is doing is cosmetic procedures, but its pricey getting trained, unless you are in a position to buy the equiptment, in which case they train you for free how to use it (lasers, etc.) or you find a clinic desperate for Dr.’s who will train you Like maybe in Alaska – ha!

ItohItoh
    Participant

I know there are reentry program for physician. I know one in Cedars Sinai Hospital and another one in Drexel in Philadelphia.
    I am not sure of the details including the cost. But I think I am heading that way.
    I am also desperately needing to study for my board exam which is coming up again…(10 years pass by so fast)

ItohItoh
    Participant

i see the biggest prob as getting the required reference letters for any hospital priviledges..

rlbobgrlbobg
    Participant

One difficulty I have come up against is getting hospital privileges when having been out of the field for awhile….there is NOTHING in place to “reacquire” skills.

Dr .IDr.I
    Participant

Yes, there is also a re-entry program in Portland, but only for OB-GYN & Peds.

DOnotknowDOnotknow
    Participant

Can you also send me a PM as well? I am in the same boat, though I don’t really want to do clinical med but something more flexible! Thanks.

DOnotknowDOnotknow
    Participant

Could you also send this to me? I need to go back and don’t know how to get started. Boards expired 10 years ago, kept up my licencse. Would prefer non-clinical with flexible hours as I have kids. Thanks so much!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.