post-bac pre-med programs

Home Forums Premed Students post-bac pre-med programs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PriyaPriya
    Participant

Hello,

This is my first time here as I just joined today. I posted this question in the general discussion, but I am wondering if you all can reccommend any good post-bac programs? I am currently a senior at DePaul (in Chicago), and I am studying early childhood education. Any suggestions will definitely be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

~Priya

lorilori
    Participant

Welcome! If you are planning on doing post-bacc work, my only real piece of advice is that you do it with a four year college or university. For some reason, all of the med schools I have applied to told me they frown on Community Colleges and two year universities. I found this out when I needed an English Lit class as one of the pre-reqs and I called the schools to see if it was ok to take it at a community college (to save some money). They all said the same thing. Although it is ok to take it at a CC, it will be looked at differently than if you took it at a four year private school. All post-bacc programs I believe are the same. You don’t need a specific degree to get into med school, only certain pre-reqs. These include one year each of English, Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Math. You also need to take all appropriate labs. My only other piece of advice is that if you have both the time and extra money, a Physiology class and a Biochemistry class will really benefit you when it comes to taking the MCAT. Best of luck to you in your endeavors. God Bless!

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Priya,

Are you talking about a formal premed post-bacc, or just taking classes after you finish your degree?

I don’t know much about formal post-bacc programs, but I know there are several in the US. Some of them are very expensive, and some have you taking courses side-by-side with medical students. Unfortunately, that’s about all I know. Perhaps the premed advisor at your school can help?

Pam

FleurFleur
    Participant

I advocate the ‘study at your local university/college’ route. Many post-bacc programs are not designed to help us, so much as to help the program. What I mean is, here in NYC I spoke to several different schools as well as out of town post-bacc programs. They made it very clear that they would only take people they felt they could get into schools. If you were over 35 (me), or not able to handle their very rigorous program, then they don’t seem interested.

Also, Columbia’s program is a painful thing (to me) because I know many regular pre-meds there who are not required to take way too many science classes + labs, etc., and several professors have expressed their sympathy for the students and frustration with the program. Most people fail, to be honest, and at $20,000 a year in loans, that’s very cruel. The program makes alot of money, but at a very high cost to its students. I was told by the program adminstrator, that at any given time, there are a couple of hundred people in it’s program, but that per year less than 15 people actually get in. The rest drop out eventually. 😮

Ok, just my $0.02. My school is a public university and they’ve been very nice to me and I have found great support – even as the oldie in the class! That has made all the difference. 😉

Brenda MayBrenda May
    Participant

I went to a private U for my bachelor’s then decided I wanted to go to med school (again). I went to my local state university. The school is small, science courses are really small and I get one-one attention from my profs. Needless to say my state school has a 95% acceptance rate of its students getting into medical schools and it has only cost me about $3000 per year to attend.
    I decided that since I was going to do post-bacc work for two years before I could even take my MCAT, that meant that applications went out in June and I have a year before I even start medical school ( I got accepted and will start next August). As a result I had an extra year before I could even start med school, what was I going to do with myself?????? I decided to take the extra year and get a second bachelors degree in chemistry since I had to take 20 units of chemistry for my med school prereqs anyway. So see what you can get for your time at a local university rather than going to a formal post-bacc program. If you can work a second bachelors degree out of it, DO IT! The second BA degree was a topic of one of my questions in my interview and won me BIG points with the admissions committee because, as they said, it showed that I was willing to take EXTRA science courses to prepare for the load at medical school. Good luck!

Keri QKeri Q
    Participant

I started taking my prerequisites on my own and found it to be very difficult and confusing. I am now in a post bac program at a university and there is a lot more support. I have a group of cohorts who are in the same boat which is very encouraging. So far the department head and other staff involved with the program have been extremely helpful and attentive. It costs much more than taking the classes at a CC and will take longer to complete, but I have more confidence that the money and time I invest will pay off because it is a well recognized school and successful program. I would suggest searching on line for post bac programs. Also, look at the AMCAS (American med. college admissions) website. I think they have some links to post bac programs. My suggestion would be to shop around. Many different post bac programs are set up for different purposes. I did a lot of research on different avenues and decided this was the best way for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.