Post Bacculareate programs to increase GPA

Home Forums Premed Students Post Bacculareate programs to increase GPA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    adewaltadewalt
    Participant

I graduated from undergrad 13 years ago. I would like to apply to medical school. My degree is in Biology but I would like to increase my gpa and have considered possibly an MBA in Healthcare to increase my gpa instead of taking more of the same science courses. I have also been looking into Post Baccalaureate programs

Any suggestions?

efex101efex101
    Participant

You may want to check with individual schools, some will want the pre-reqs to be more recent than 13 years. If that is the case than a post-bacc (either self made or formal) will be your best bet.

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

adewalt,

I notice that you are from Texas – so am I. You might want to check into the “fresh start” program. Call TMDSAS and ask about it. However, if your degree is 13 years old, it may mean retaking all of your prereqs.

None of the Texas schools (or Baylor) that I talked to had a limit on how old classes can be. Some of mine were 13 years old.

I don’t know a whole lot about formal post-bacc programs. It seems like they would be a good way to boost your GPA quick. It’s hard to say whether a post-bacc or a Master’s is better. I know that some schools have a GPA/MCAT cutoff and I don’t think a master’s is factored into that. But, I have heard that you can appeal this kind of pre-interview rejection and ask them to take a closer look at your file.

Can you provide more info about your GPA? How bad is it? Have you taken science classes recently?

Pam

adewaltadewalt
    Participant

Originally posted by efex101:
    You may want to check with individual schools, some will want the pre-reqs to be more recent than 13 years. If that is the case than a post-bacc (either self made or formal) will be your best bet.

Thanks I will look into it.

Alana

adewaltadewalt
    Participant

Originally posted by spacecadet:
    [b]adewalt,

I notice that you are from Texas – so am I. You might want to check into the “fresh start” program. Call TMDSAS and ask about it. However, if your degree is 13 years old, it may mean retaking all of your prereqs.

None of the Texas schools (or Baylor) that I talked to had a limit on how old classes can be. Some of mine were 13 years old.

I don’t know a whole lot about formal post-bacc programs. It seems like they would be a good way to boost your GPA quick. It’s hard to say whether a post-bacc or a Master’s is better. I know that some schools have a GPA/MCAT cutoff and I don’t think a master’s is factored into that. But, I have heard that you can appeal this kind of pre-interview rejection and ask them to take a closer look at your file.

Can you provide more info about your GPA? How bad is it? Have you taken science classes recently?

Pam[/b]

I looked into the Fresh Start Program and that looks like the route that I will take. Thanks you were extremely helpful.

Alana

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Alana,

I tried to respond to your private message, but it said that you are not accepting private messages.

I’ll tell you what I know about fresh start. I only know what other people have told me, as I didn’t look into it myself.

Talk to an advisor at your university. You have to formally sign up for it before you take classes there. I believe that any classes you have that are over 10 years old will not count towards your GPA for med school applications.

Hope this helps! TheresaW and Renee probably know more about it.

Pam

adewaltadewalt
    Participant

Pam,

My apologies for not being able to respond to my message. I am in the process of learning about the site.

I went to the UTMDAS and there was information on the site which was quite helpful. I plan on enrolling this fall in a fresh start program in Texas.

Thanks again,

Alana

Originally posted by spacecadet:
    [b]Alana,

I tried to respond to your private message, but it said that you are not accepting private messages.

I’ll tell you what I know about fresh start. I only know what other people have told me, as I didn’t look into it myself.

Talk to an advisor at your university. You have to formally sign up for it before you take classes there. I believe that any classes you have that are over 10 years old will not count towards your GPA for med school applications.

Hope this helps! TheresaW and Renee probably know more about it.

Pam[/b]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.