postbacc options in los angeles

Home Forums Premed Students postbacc options in los angeles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ldrldr
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to MomMD and very excited about this site! I am 26 and have a BA in women’s studies and polisci (1999). I came to LA to go to law school at UCLA in 2001, but it didn’t feel right, so I left and have been working for a state senator.

A year and a half ago, I started feeling a strong “calling” to make women’s reproductive health care my life’s work, and began contemplating becoming a midwife or an ob/gyn (after much soul-searching, I’ve decided on becoming an ob/gyn with a midwife’s philosophy, but that’s another story…).

I’m now working 20 hrs/wk, and I started my post-bacc at UCLA summer school and am attempting to pursue it through UCLA Extension one course at a time (verrrrry slow going and difficult to transfer since they’re on the quarter system). I’m also volunteering as a Care Extender at Santa Monica/UCLA Hospital, and am currently on call as a labor doula (childbirth assistant) — this will be my 2nd time in this role.

I have been contemplating transitioning to the USC post-bacc program, and am also wondering about going to school fulltime (how many classes is considered fulltime? 2 or 3?). Does anyone have experience with post-baccs in West LA? It seems like either you put together your own program at UCLA Extension (and risk not getting the classes/labs you need via concurrent enrollment), you fork over megabucks (~$30K) for the USC program (which has the advantage of structure and advising, which UCLA Ext completely lacks), or you do it at Santa Monica Community College (and risk having med schools frown upon not doing the prereqs at a 4-year university, especially outside of CA which is a real possibility for us). My hubby and I want to start a family soon, so finances are a major concern. Does anyone have any advice for me about the best way to do this in LA?

Thanks so much for tolerating my many questions! :blush:

shellbellshellbell
    Participant

Just wanted to give you a great big WELCOME and glad you found us. :wave:

Sorry I can not help out with your post, but I know there are lots of wonderful women who can. 😀

Good luck
    Michelle

galyagalya
    Participant

I started reading your post hoping to get some good edvice myself.
    L.A. is so unfair…

Love, Galya.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.