pre-med needs advice from physicians…

Home Forums General Discussion pre-med needs advice from physicians…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

I am going to graduate with my B.S. next year. I am a junior in college. I am 22 yrs. old and married with a 14 mo. old son. I went to a junior college for 2 years before I transfered into the university I will be graduating from. I had a 3.5 GPA at the junior colleges I attended. When I transfered my first semester went down hill. I made 2 D’s and was put on academic probation. The D’s were not in important science classes. One was Economics and the other was an agriculture elective. My science GPA now is a 3.5 but my overall has dropped to a 3.1. Thank goodness I still have 18 mo. to pull my GPA back up. I am just scared med schools will look down on my D’s. I have worked 30 hours a week since I graduated high school at a local hospital as a EKG tech and medical asst. I have lots of volunteer work. Do you know anyone who had a bad semester and still got given a chance. I am bright but human. I know where I went wrong and I intend to continue fixing it. I apply to med achool after I take the MCAT. I am just anxious and naturally nervous!! Thanks!!

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Never disqualify yourself!!

PediDocPediDoc
    Participant

One of the top med schools to which I applied wouldn’t take me because my grades were too HIGH. I think the experience of getting D’s and pulling your GPA significantly up from that can show a persistence and determination that many hot shots can’t. You can use this as a strength, rather than a weakness, if you truly know what happened and can articulate this well when asked. 🙂

Jen In N. GAJen In N. GA
    Participant

My grades weren’t that good when I was younger and have drastically improved once I started paying for my college – and got a little smarter with age 😉 . I was toldby my advosor that as long as an improvement took place and the opposite did not occur that that would not be a problem. They don’t expect everything to be perfect all the time. I would be more concerned if the D’s were in science.

You’ll be fine 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.