pre-med student looking for a mentor

Home Forums Introductions & Connections pre-med student looking for a mentor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lauralaura
    Participant

Hi I’m looking for someone other than my premedical advisor who I can turn to for advice. I recently changed from a business major to a pre-med exercise science major. I’m behind in school not only b/c I changed my major but I have also had two reconstructive knee surgeries in the last year. I want nothing more than to get into medical school. Becoming a doctor is my passion! I just want to make sure that I am on the right track. I just hope that missing a semester of school and graduating in 5 years instead of four won’t hurt me. Is there anyone who can give me advice?

Thanks!
    -Laura

KimKim
    Participant

Laura,
    I really wouldn’t worry about the 4yr vs. 5yr problem. Like every other college freshman, I too pondered many other majors before deciding on a science major with courses that paralleled many med school requirements. I thought that my premed advisors were terrible, rude, and very unhelpful and was therefore forced to find many things out the hard way. How far from graduating are you? You need to take the MCAT/apply for med school an entire year before you graduate. Concentrate on doing your very best (A’s, and some B’s, but C’s ((one or two)) won’t kill you) on the medical school required couses. If you don’t know what those are, get a list in your premed advising office. There are certain courses that are highlighted in the MCAT so make sure you take those BEFORE your Sr. year and BEFORE the MCAT if at all possible. Those courses include physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology/physiology. There’s also a reading section on the MCAT that many people find hard to prepare for. However, I think the best way to prepare for that is to begin NOW reading classical novels by classical authors. My favorite: Alexander Dumas’ The Count of Monte Cristo. This is an excellent book, and others like it, because it has many characters and subplots that make you think and recall…..that’s what the MCAT reading section is all about.
    I’ll stop with that advice for now. It’s a starting point. I’m full of info so let me know if I can help with any other questions, specific or general…
    kimberly

lauralaura
    Participant

Thank You so much for all of your advice! I didn’t even expect anyone to answer me. I have 2.5 to 3 years to go until graduation so this advice really helps. It’s nice to have some positive feedback. It seems as though all advisors do is to try talk me out of being pre-med. It’s ridiculous. They don’t know anything about me or what I can accomplish.
    I plan to follow your advice and read novels. Any reading suggestions you may have would be great! (I love to read. It’s just finding the time to read that’s the problem.) Actually I am up for any suggestions that would help my chances of acceptance into med school. This is what I am currently involved in.

-I work in the department of anesthesia at a large university(Lots of chances to gain clinical experience and good letters of recommmendation!)
    -I volunteer at a university hospital
    -and taking a full load of classes and studying A LOT!
    I know that’s not much but I have been unable to do much since my knee surgery.

What do you think? Am i doing the right things?

Thanks for your reply!

Laura

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Laura,

You are doing the right things. Don’t worry about whether the advisors think you should be a premed.

Melissa

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

At the end of my second year of college, the pre-med advisor (we had one at my small school) sat me down and told me that he didn’t think I had what it took to be a doctor. Since med school graduation I have been resisting the urge to drop him a note of thanks, and sign it with the “M.D.” after my name. Maybe that was his way of motivating me, I don’t know. It just made me think he didn’t know what he was talking about! So keep at it – if you know you have what it takes, keep your focus and study hard.

Way to go on the volunteer work, too! 🙂

womansurgeonwomansurgeon
    Participant

ESPECIALLY don’t worry about what your premed advisor thinks if he is a 60ish year old white male wearing a dark suit and black leather shoes…

Way to go, Gracie!

Push on, Laura!

lauralaura
    Participant

Thank you for all of your encouraging words! It is wonderful to know that there are other people out there who are going through the same experiences that I am! Like I said before I am up for any suggestions that will increase my chances of acceptance into medical school. (I swear it is all i think about!) I also want to wish everyone else in my position good luck! If anyone ever wants to share stories or advice let me know! (And I plan on ignoring my advisor for here on out!) 🙂

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

LOL womansurgeon – he was EXACTLY as you described!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.