pre-reqs at community college?

Home Forums Premed Students pre-reqs at community college?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KBRODKBROD
    Participant

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you had any advice on the following. I am just about to register for next semester to finish my pre-reqs. I could take my pre-reqs at the local community college. It would be much easier for me as it is closer, or I could drive an hour away to the state university to take them. Has anyone taken pre-reqs at community college? Would this put me at any disadvantage? Do med schools prefer you to take pre-reqs at a University? I would really appreciate some help on this one as I can’t get the admissions office at USF to answer my e mails. I guess they are up to their eyes in applications. Thanks so much

Kelly

shellbellshellbell
    Participant

Hi there

I am taking my pre-reqs at a JC right now. I have 2 friends who have completed med school and attended first 2 years at JC.

I feel like it works for me the best. I know some people says it does not look great, but I would check out the Med schools you want to attend and ask them.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the babble, I am typing and doing my daughters hair for school.

Good Luck
    Michelle

DrWuStar *DrWuStar*
    Participant

when i was in undergrad, i didn’t do all the med school prereqs. cause i was pretty sure i didn’t want to go to med school. :rolleyes:

so now, i am taking the ones i didn’t do before at JC. there is a great university in my town, and several other colleges in my area, but they all only offered science courses during the day. i work a 9-5, so i needed night or weekend classes. so JC was really the only option for me.

and it seems to be ok, cause i just got an interview at a great med school!!! :rotfl:

good luck,
    wu

ElliottElliott
    Participant

Hi Kelly,

I am currently taking my first and second year pre-requs at a local college. At first, I was convinced that I had made the wrong decision and that I should have gone to University right off the bat. I was wrong. This is how I knew:
    – I saved $2200.00 in tuition fees this year ALONE.
    – I got almost all used textbooks.
    – There are 25 students in my first year Biology class, but the course is not at all lacking.
    – I am on a first name basis with most of my profs.
    – My profs know when I don’t come to class.
    – All my classes are two minutes walking distance from each other.

If it works for you, go to college. This transition is so much easier because I took this route.

Elliott

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

I’m am MSI and took all of my prereqs at CC. I loved the experience and would do it again.
    Emily

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.