Pregnancy and interviewing

Home Forums Premed Students Pregnancy and interviewing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dddd
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone interviewed while they were pregnant? Do admissions committees look different at a women who’s pregnant? I know that technically it should not matter, but I have heard all kinds of stories lately: how you should avoid mentioning family in your application and during interviews because it looks like you will be distracted from medical school curriculum if you do have a family…etc.
    I have no experience with the interview process. After hearing all kinds of stories from various premeds (with no family), I am a little worried that my pregnancy could mean no admission for me this year.
    Any advice from you would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    dd.

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

DD, I’m interviewing this season, but not pregnant. (3 school-age kids!)I have a couple of questions for you.

Will you be obviously pregnant during your interviews? If not, don’t bring it up. As a mom, I found that my interviewers so far have wanted to know how I plan to handle the family/school balance. The less information they have that might lead them to think you can’t “handle the pressure” in med school, the better.

Do you have plans on how to care for your little one once you start med school? It’s important that you be able to talk about how you have planned for this and the support system you have in place. Show the interviewer you have thought about this and know what you are doing.

Look at it this way, they accept students with kids (like me) and LOTs of people start their families in med school or residency, so this cannot be a major barrier. Go in to your interviews with confidence and a plan for how to answer the inevitable questions. You’ll be fine! :grouphug:

Theresa

dddd
    Participant

Actually I am pregnant right now. We also have another child. When our first baby was born my husband chose to be a stay at home daddy.
    Since this is not a very usual situation I don’t know how it would look to the admissions committee when I tell them that my husband stays at home with our kids?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.