pregnant and heading to med school

Home Forums Introductions & Connections pregnant and heading to med school

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Hi all, I am posting this message because I need some advice from some women who have been through the process I am going through right now. I graduated (undergrad) last May and am currently working while I apply to med schools. I already had one interview and have another one scheduled for February. I just found out that I am pregnant (due in August) and was hoping that if I was accepted to med school that I could defer for one year. Should I inform the schools I interview with that I am pregnant? I am not married and afraid that this will be looked upon negatively by schools. Do you think I have a shot at getting my deferral request granted considering my situation? I have a wonderful family that I know will be supportive throughout this process. Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

My gut reaction is to recommend that you not tell them about your pregnancy during an interview. If you get accepted, I’d stronly recommend deferral (as you are already thinking).

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

I would not bring up the subject of your pregnancy. It’s personal information and you don’t want to take the chance that the adcoms will “frown” on it.

Spacecadet, one of our members, got accepted to Baylor and then deferred for a year. She delivered her son in the Fall!

Hang in there, and congratulations!

Theresa

momofchrismomofchris
    Participant

I agree with the above posters. There’s no reason to tell them you’re pregnant while you’re still interviewing. Once you’re accepted, then request a deferral.

momofchrismomofchris
    Participant

Just wanted to add: I can’t imagine a school’s not granting your deferral request given the circumstances. I would call them once you get an acceptance letter and ask about their policy. Most schools don’t have a problem with granting deferrals if requested in accordance with their policies.

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Hi,
    I just wanted to say thank you for your responses. Your advice was great and it really made me feel more confident about being able to accomplish my goals. Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.