pregnant during interviews?

Home Forums Career pregnant during interviews?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    juljul
    Participant

Anyone out there who was visibly pregnant during their residency interviews? I’m a third year student who is thinking about trying to get pregnant in the next few months and I’m concerned about what would happen during interviews next year. I’m thinking now that I want to go into ob/gyn and so I want a program that is family friendly but I’m not sure if being pregnant during the interview is really the best test. (I fear having to scramble). I’ve heard 4th year is a good time to have a baby (I’ve also heard there really is no truly good time in medicine) and I feel like I’ve already been waiting for a long time (I’ve had the baby craving for a few years now). My husband wants me to think about taking a year off, only because he thinks I will regret not being there very much during the first year, but I kind of just want to get residency over with before a baby can remember that I wasn’t there! Most of my friends and family think I’m crazy to think about starting residency with an infant and think I should wait until the last year of residency or after, but I really don’t want to wait that long. I just really don’t know what to do. Any advice is appreciated. And if this has already been discussed somewhere else, please point me in the right direction!

TaurusTaurus
    Participant

Hello,
    I am a private practice anesthesiologist. I was pregnant with my first child (about 4-6 months) during 4 th year interviews. I bought the most professional-looking maternity suit I could find and did not ever mention babies/family etc during interviews. I tried to make it clear that I was pure business. If someone brought it up, I told the truth, but did not go into details, and I certainly did not get all giggly, pulling out sonogram pictures, etc. Pure business. During one interview/tour, the dept head of the pain management clinic was very proud of his new fluroscopic suites in which there was a procedure in progress. He asked me to put on a lead apron and come in to observe. I declined and explained that I was about 20 weeks pregnant. I do not think that he knew it (I am a bit overweight and was not real obvious), but I could certainly tell that he was irritated by my refusal. I was still offered a slot in that program, however, along with several others, including my first choice.

The timing of your pregnancy is a different issue. This is being discussed in another thread called “Starting intership with a baby” under the General discussions. There are some good comments there. Best of luck!

AnkiAnki
    Participant

Hi,

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! 🙂

I suggest you to read the topic ” Pregnant–baby due 1 week before residency commences! ”
    You can find it here in the “General Discussion” Forum.
    Enjoy your pregnany, and good luck with the interviews!

Annkrisz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.