premed courses

Home Forums Medical Students premed courses

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    2badr2badr
    Participant

I am just wondering…does any body know the importance of takeing college algebra, trigo and geometry all over a gain. I have a bachelor degree in nursing and I only took college mathematics …I also have a master’;s degree as a GERI and Primary NP but did not have to take any math except for 2 semesters of stat classes.
    I will be in premed classes this fall..I know I have to take precalculus then calculus before I can take chemistry and physics!!! Any input????
    Or can I just review and study all on my own? Please help!!!

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

Hi,

By just completing the calculus series, I can tell you that more than anything, you might want to take Trig over again as it will be VERY useful for calculus. I don’t know how it is at other schools, but at mine taking trig was a prerequisite for calculus and you wouldn’t be able to even enroll before doing so. There are a great deal of trig theories that serve as the basis for many of the calculus concepts.

Good Luck!

Annie 🙂

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Why do you need calculus for chemistry and physics? Chemistry definitely doesn’t require calculus and for premed you don’t need to take calc-based physics.

Some schools do require one semester of calculus for admission, but some of them will substitute stats.

I’d check into the requirements again before you jump into these math classes that you may not need.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I agree with spacecadet. Many schools don’t require calc or calc based physics. Check the requirements of the schools you plan on applying to before you sign up to take something you might not need. I took calc postbacc, but then it turned out that I didn’t need it. Unfortunately, I made a C in the class (I was working full time while taking the class) so it brought down my gpa.

Participant

I understand that most of the medical schools do not require calculus credits. I’m also aware that for the MCATs you don’t need calculus based physics and that it is more trig based than anything (I’m studying it right now). However, I think it all depends on what your undergraduate major is and on the university from which you plan on recieving your bachelors degree.

At my university, in order to complete my degree for Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology and to graduate, you need to take calculus-based physics. So rather than taking these courses for med school, many have to take these courses for the completion of their majors (to graduate)…then, on to medical school 🙂 !

Annie

Participant

…but then again (2badr), you’re not working towards another bachelors right?…silly me :p

If the school you would like to go to requires just one semester of calculus, then maybe trig will help. Otherwise, I would take the shorter root (w/ the least amount of classes to take)…

Good Luck!

Annie 😀

pkittypkitty
    Participant

Just to let you know my 2 cents. I don’t think you should bother – unless you want to take them for the sake of learning. I just finished 1st year med. school, and we used to joke how med students don’t know any math!
    I would go with the Physics without any calculus, too.
    If you have a lot of other courses to take, focus on those.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.