questions, questions, questions

Home Forums General Discussion questions, questions, questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KrissaKrissa
    Participant

Hi, my name is Krissa and I am a junior in college. I’m taking the year off right now to learn Spanish in Spain and Argentina (home for xmas now, hooray!) but am returning next year to my home college to finish up my premed courses. My dream of becoming a physician has begun to dim as my eyes have been opened to the multitude of difficulties that there are to face. My father is a physician and is constantly telling me how medicine is not what it used to be…that it is not a field worth going into anymore…that with insurance companies making it so hard on doctors, it’s just about unbearable…etc.etc.etc. My question is, have you physicians found this to be true? Would you still go into medicine now, knowing what you do about medicine and having experienced all the…hmmmm… pain? :boggled: ) This type of personality would typically fall into a communications major, or education. Both of these fields I just wilt at when I think about going into them. The only thing that saves me is that I can work hard, and that is how I’ve gotten good grades in my sciences thus far. My question is, are my natural capabilities/incapabilities going to pose huge problems for me?

Sometimes I think it would be better to just become a nurse and enjoy life and not put myself through hell. Is my view correct?

Thanks so much for your time! ~Krissa

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Hi Karissa,
    I hope I spelled that correctly. Anyway, I am also doing my premed, and I’m taking a detour into the Culinary Arts for about a year. I don’t know exactly how to answer your question about becoming a doctor being “worth it”. I personally think if that is what you want to do, go for it. I’ve considered everything from phlebotomy, a certificate I already have, to medical assistant, to nursing. Each of these are a lesser amount of education, and I could start a lot sooner. But that not my goal. It’s not my dream. I want to be a doctor. I want to know what is wrong with someone, and fix it. I want to deliver babies, and do surgeries. I want to see what it looks like on the inside.
    I have a wonderful inspiration, and mentor. I work with a woman who is in my opinion, a great person. She is very kind, and sweet, and though it is obvious that she is very smart, she doesn’t look down on anyone. She is an infectious disease MD, but I almost feel as if she can made it this far, and is still as great as ever, then I can too. Just be sure that this is what you want to do. Read the online journals and inspirations on this web-site. Most of the women here are stronger than I ever hope to be. They not only survive Medical School and Residency, but they have families as well.. :boggled: How do they do that!?!
    But this just shows us that we can do it too.
    Good luck! :crossfingers:

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Originally posted by :
    Anyway, I am also doing my premed, and I’m taking a detour into the Culinary Arts for about a year.

Glad to see someone else with this combination of medicine/culinary arts! I finished a professional pastry chef earlier this year and dabble occasionally as a private pastry chef! I choose this as I believe I should follow my passions, and food is a big one! Plus, I love reading those scientific food books (Cookwise, What Eistein Told His Cook) and more.

Anyone else like cooking?
    Sethina

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.