Role Models

Home Forums General Discussion Role Models

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Who are/were your role models?

Sethina

geminigemini
    Participant

I would have to say my maternal grandmother and my mother. They have molded me into the person I am today. If it werent for their solid advice to keep going regardless what pitfalls I face, I wouldnt have returned back to school to follow my dreams. Their favorite saying is “have faith, everything happens for a reason”

bekagainbekagain
    Participant

My dad was an incredible high school chemistry/physics teacher. He died when I was almost nine, but I have strong memories of how loved he was by his students. This has always motivated me to make a difference in people’s lives in whatever I do. He also nurtured my curiosity in how things worked in nature and just observing things like bugs and butterflies and doing cool experiments. He definitely has influenced my decision to pursue a scientific career and his sickness(brain cancer) and death fuled my desire to become a doctor – even as a nine year old. I stifled that for a while, but I have rediscovered it and it feels great.

My other role model is a professor that I had for one of my first college classes. I loved the way that she interacted with the students and was very impressed with her. After my daughter was born, I was having a huge “I don’t know what to do with my life crisis.” She also worked in the career center, so I made an appointment with her. I remember just sitting in her office and bawling my eyes out because for the first time in my life I was being told that I could do something with my life besides staying at home with my kids. 😮 She continued to be a part of me sticking with school and an huge inspiration to me that I could accomplish something with my life. :goodvibes: This was huge to me. She was a role model and support when I really needed one most. She is the person I call when I need honest advice and encouragement.

DuckDuck
    Participant

Like Gemini…my mother and maternal grandmother are my role models. Both believed in never quitting. They stressed the importance of education and independence.

My grandmother who is deceased was one tough cookie 🙂 Whenever I became wimpy or whiny she would give me a dose (story from her past) of true grit. She once worked in an extremely hot laundry shop. She often worked 10-12 hours per day. One of the customers was a member of the klu klux klan. This man would come in with all of the members robes. Some workers were afraid, but she never showed fear. She said he never said anything cruel to her and would sometimes call her Miss Ethel.

I remember that story and others on my wimpy days 🙂

Duck

DreyDrey
    Participant

My mom, and a wonderful friend of hers from college. They are truly what women should be, and they have always encouraged me to do whatever I wanted and have always been there to be proud of me and support me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.