Scholarships?

Home Forums Medical Students Scholarships?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Do you all know of any non-need-based scholarships that are available to medical students? I’m not starting school until next year (deferred) and figure I’ll have lots of time this year to apply for stuff like this, if I can find it.

Thanks!

Pam

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

You probably have done some of this, but I’ll suggest it anyways.

1. Check with your school’s fin aid office. If they are good, they’ll know of something.

2. Check with organizations/groups you are affiliated with. I got a small but helpful scholarship from my church (denomination).

3. You can try FastWeb, but it is really oriented towards undergrads. It can’t hurt to try, though.

4. Check with your local (usually county) or state medical society/association. They usually have some scholarships, but some will only give them to 2nd-4th yr students.

Hope this helps a bit.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

bump

has anyone found anything else?

womansurgeonwomansurgeon
    Participant

It is a good idea to check (early on) with your financial aid office.

I received a 2k per year scholarship for ‘nontraditional women medical students’ which I probably qualified for on more counts than I care to admit. But I didn’t know anything about it until I specifically asked the advisor if any such aid was available – she then checked into it and *presto*.

My husband and I are setting up a scholarship at my alma mater, Ohio State, for students entering medical school with a GED or correspondance high school diploma.

Cheers!

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out fastweb and a couple of other internet scholarship sites, but there didn’t seem to be much.

I’m planning to call the financial aid office soon, but I figured I would wait until October or so when things should slow down a bit for them. I’m sure all the new students are keeping them busy right now!

Thanks!

Pam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.