School Papers

Home Forums General Discussion School Papers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    shellbellshellbell
    Participant

I have to write a book review for a history class assignment. I have never written one before. I would like to see if any of you know how to go about this.

My teacher has suggested at least 250 words, just a few paragraphs, and my thoughts on the book. I have asked twice and do not want to again. He is very kick back and easy going. So any ideas on how to write this review?

Thanks
    Michelle

drsoondrsoon
    Participant

Hi Shellbell!
    Tah Dah! “Did somebody call for an …ENGLISH MAJOR???!!!” 😀

No, really, I was one- did tonnes of those little buggers.

Okay, it’s a book for history class- so I’m going to be a genius and guess it’s about a historical subject, right?

Here’s the general outline I used when doing reviews:

🙂 First paragraph:
    Title of the book,
    Who wrote it
    What it’s about: who/what/when/where/why
    Your opinion on it: One sentence describing your thoughts on the book:is it a fun read? Are the characters engaging? From what view point does the book come from? (The Blue or the Grey? The Protestant or the Catholic? )

🙂 Second paragraph: Talk about historic period in which the book is set. The political environment, the opposing sides of any conflict in the book.

🙂 Third paragraph: Talk about specific characters in the book and their interactions. How are the characters believable? Or not? Are the characters just stereotypes stuck in period clothing? (like Marilyn Monroe in a pilgrim outfit?) or do they seem “real” and seem to face their situation with reactions that make you see through their eyes, laugh, cry, etc and feel like you’ve gotten to know a whole new person?

🙂 Fourth paragraph: Discuss but don;t reveal the end of the book and whether or not you felt it was a realistic ending, how it matches the resolution of historical events in the period it is set in, etc.

🙂 Fifth paragraph: Sum up the above with “In conclusion (a common, but sound summing-up kinda phrase) and repeat what you said:
    example: “In conclusion, I highly recommend Harper Lee’s book “To Kill a Mockingbird” as a book that accurately and endearingly depicts growing up in the rural south while giving a clear-eyed view on the racial tensions and tragedies caused by it’s post-slavery culture. ”

Or something like that.

Hope this helps!

Susan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.