sexism, yo

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk sexism, yo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Emily2651Emily2651
    Participant
    SW to MDSW to MD
    Participant

I distinctly remember being downgraded in a performance eval on ‘initiative’ b/c I had the audacity to ask for additional compensation to supervise additional employees. It was as if I should just take on the extra with a smile and no additional pay (at $13/hr I was already supervising 10 people!).

But I can see it easily in any profession- the disparity is disgusting, but we as women also need to speak up and say “I am worth every extra penny (or 12K as this study would have it)”.

Also, it made it a lot easier to negotiate once I was writing grants and knew what others were making- ah, the one benefit of having to develop a budget. 😉

So, while I am *years* (or maybe even a decade!) away from negotiating salary/benefits- how do I know what is appropriate when the time comes? Where do people find these things out?

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

Funny that you mention “initative” SW. One of my “constructive” eval comments for Family Medicine rotation was that I took too much initiative. WHAT????

I didn’t even understand that, and when I had my end-of-rotation meeting with the clerkship director (they did that on Family for some reason) – he told me to ignore that attending’s comment, because he thought it was a good thing to have initiative in the care of patients. He brushed it off like maybe that attending’s personality didn’t get on with mine.
    Now that I’m thinking about it – I wonder if he would have said the same thing if I were a man? I bet he wouldn’t have said I took too much initiative then.

clee03mclee03m
    Participant

Once again, check out the book Women Don’t Ask.

Proud to say, I get paid the same as everyone else in my group. There ain’t no gender divide in that department here. Hell, yeah.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.