shared residency?

Home Forums Residents shared residency?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    twinkletwinkle
    Participant

hi..i have been reading How to Choose a Medical Specialty by Anita Taylor just to get a general sense of what’s out there (i am still premed probably looking at peds or internal med) and there is a section at the end about shared residencies. Something about two people applying for one residency and then working two-thirds time for a longer period of time? I am curious if anyone has considered this or has had the opportunity to pursue it. I would imagine that there are very few hospitals that would accomodate for this (do any exist?) and those candidates who choose to do this would not be as respected for their choice. Residency is one of my greatest fears in pursuing medicine. While the long hours a physician works is already a great sacrifice for the family, I cannot imagine not being able to see my kids for days on end for three to five years. They will be preteens by then..I suppose they would be happier if I weren’t all over them but so much can go wrong in those years! 😮 Just want to hear any thoughts on this..
    Thanks
    trish

katherinekatherine
    Participant

It’s my understanding that sharing a residency means 3 months on, 3 months off. Is it still this way? It seems like that would make childcare difficult.

twinkletwinkle
    Participant

according to the book..shared residencies lend to two different patterns…alternating like the one you describe and interdigitating which is when both spend time on the same ward at the same time taking turns with call and have the same patients..they alternate afternoons off and can have vacation at the same or different times..in both instances each resident is paid half-time for the duration of residency eventhough they may work more
    i really have no idea how feasible this is in real life though :confused: ..although the latter seems more accomodating..i’d be interested in any form of compromise
    any thoughts guys?
    trish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.