Should I tell my employer???

Home Forums Premed Students Should I tell my employer???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sarah_robertssarah_roberts
    Participant

I have been thinking about medical school since I was only 5 years old. I lost confidence when I was 15 and gave up my dream. Now I am older and much more mature (31 years old), I have decided to give it a go. I have been researching medical school entrance requirements and aware of what is required.

The only 2 problems I have is my age 🙁 (and thanks to all those that have supported me here in mommd); and whether I should tell my employer :confused: . I work for a hospital and my job is finance related. I have so much respect for my boss – who is a professor in medicine, but I am scared to tell him and worried he might think I am crazy or an idiot :guilty: .

Should I tell my boss?

Future Mom MDFuture Mom MD
    Participant

I feel that you should tell him as he may be willing to help in many aspects since he is already a doctor.

I currently work for two professors who are also doctors. They have been very supportive. They even bought me the EC study guides that cost 145.00. They are willing to let me shawdow them in the operating room when I am ready since school and working takes up all my time.

You have to do what you feel best in your heart.
    Sheretta

RhetaRheta
    Participant

I also feel you should tell your boss, I think he will be supportive as well, especially since he is a professor. I think it is wonderful that you are going to pursue your dream!

RhetaRheta
    Participant

I also feel you should tell your boss, I think he will be supportive as well, especially since he is a professor. I think it is wonderful that you are going to pursue your dream!

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

Hi. Just to let you know, I am an architect right now and i felt that i had to tell my boss. One because while taking classes and studying for the MCAT, there is no way that i could work full time. and when i had to leave work early for classes and stuff well the next question everyone asks is what class are you taking? anyway i felt that i had to come clean with my boss. now, on one hand they dont’ care what i do as long as my work gets done, but on the other hand i feel like they don’t take me seriously in architecture and on the one hand i dont’ care because hoepfully i will be gone come next august but on the other hand i wonder if they dont’ like my performance at all. but my evaluations dont reflect that.
    if you are going to have to take time off of work for classes or to study you might have to tell your boss. you can’t just go to some mysterious classs becuase for some reason people just dont’ accept you not answering the what class? question. i guess people can be nosy. i had a med shcool interview and was turning over some work to a fellow coworkerd the day before and he was like “so what are you up to tomorrow?” innocent enough, huh? anwyay i told him it was some personal business but that raised suspicions. even though my boss knows, my fello coworekrs don’t know and that is difficult for me. i wnat to come out and tell them but i relaly dont’ wnat it to be a topic of conversation day in and day out.

anwya, that is my experience with it. the best thing to do is to tell.

sarah_robertssarah_roberts
    Participant

Hi;

Thanks for the replies. I will not be taking time off for classes, as I have all the prereq. I just need to study for the exam and this I will be doing in my own time at home. However, I ended up telling one fellow worker and have suspicions that it is only a matter of time before he tells everyone. The reason why I feel compelled to tell my boss is that I don’t think I am being fair to him. He could employ someone in my role that will give 100% to the job at hand. Whereas, I am giving it 100% of what I have, but my heart is elsewhere. I am really bored at work and find it hard to face the day. Every morning it is a real challenge getting up and facing work. Basically, I am really restless at work. I am not sure why I am so restless except for the fact that I no longer want to do my current job. I have been a little discouraged because of the unfortunate amount of politics involved in medicine and even more so that the finance/banking profession but I hope to get into an area such as family medicine and avoid all the politics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.