Single Mom considering Medical Profession

Home Forums General Discussion Single Mom considering Medical Profession

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    amcgeheeamcgehee
    Participant

I am a 34-year-old single mom of 2. I have a 9 and a 2 year old. I love children and in my heart want to be a Pediatrician. I am in the research phase right now. Looking at classes I still need and colleges where I can get the Pre-Med requirements. I guess today I am feeling a since of shock and awe. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be here with a deep routed desire to be a Doctor. I guess I am hoping that someone out there feels the same way, in a similar position who can offer support and advice.

shellbellshellbell
    Participant

Welcome, :wave:

I am 32 and have a 7,5, and 15 month old. I too want to pursue my dreams and become a doctor. :goodvibes:

You are not alone, there are so many of us in your shoes right now. You can do it, 😉 :p and visiting this site will really help you along the way. I feel as though this site gives me motivation, and keeps my going. :yes:

Good for you for following your dream.

Good Luck
    Michelle

laleelalee
    Participant

I’m a single mom, too. I have a 9 yr old daughter…does it get any easier?!!! :yes:

doc dredloc 2bdoc dredloc 2b
    Participant

I’m a single mom of a one year old and just recently returned to school to pursue a career in medicine also. I struggle daily with my decision to become a doctor (in addition to struggling with Chemistry). I think about the time that will be spent away from my daughter and if I will even be able to make it through the process. Any words of wisdom would be well appreciated.

amcgeheeamcgehee
    Participant

Thank you rezacopeland for responding. I applaud you for going for your dream. I also struggle with the thought that I will be away from my children but I believe we can do this. I believe that our children will learn that we love them and to go for their dreams. I believe the time we spend with them will be quality time and they will appreciate what we are doing and what we do for them. It will be hard I don’t think we are blind to this but by the grace of God it can be done.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Hi!

I’m a 37 yearold single mom of a seven year old and recently started what I hope will eventually be a combined MD/PhD program (I started PhD courses in Pathology in September).

I certainily think anything can be done however, I think you have to decide early on what you will sacrifice. When I started this process I NEVER considered time raising my daughter as time that was available to be sacrificed because even before I decided to pursue medicine, I had a thriving career as a scientist. I accepted that she would spend most of her day time life away from me either in daycare full-time or in before/after care once she started school and I NEVER felt any guilt about my decision. However, I also committed the time between when I pick her up as HER TIME ONLY!! Overall, I’d say we get to spend 2 solid hours/day together during the week on average without interupptions of TV.

Kim

amcgeheeamcgehee
    Participant

Thanks for your comments Pathdr2b. Again, quality time is what is needed with our children and it is great that you have that with your child. I am considering combining a Master in Counseling Psychology with Premed requirements. Someone mentioned maybe I could create my own Major and incorporate the Premed requirements. Sounds like you are much further along than this but any suggestions you can offer regarding where to start and maybe what you have done, as a degree plan would be very helpful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.