single teen mom where do I start?

Home Forums Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor single teen mom where do I start?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KelliKelli
    Participant

I’m a single teen mom(18) and have had the dream of becoming a doctor for as long as I can remember. I have no clue on how to start out. How am I supposed to get through med school on no money and no one to help me with my son? Please I need to get some inspiration and a lot of guidance from anyone who is willing to help that knows where I’m coming from.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I feel ya. I was 18 and a single mom. The government payed for my school, and I took out school loans to help support us and pay a sitter. Im not in Med school yet, but I have completed nursing school. From what I get, it is assumed for the most part that you will not work, and I guess there is about 30,000 more dollars a person can take out. There’s more money available for those more financially in need. It can be done. The most important part is finding a reliable, trust-worthy sitter, or day care. You can survive.

—-Dana

Congratulations on being a teen mother. I take my hat off to you–just your decision to give birth to your child and raise him/her is admirable in this country today, sad as that is. Anyway, hang in there, motherhood is very difficult no matter what. But doing it alone has to be much harder than I can imagine. My Mom did it–just trust your instincts and your gut, and above all else take care of yourself and your child. Never let go of your dream of being a doctor, you can do it, although it may be a long, slow road. But the first thing is to take care of your child and put him/her first, above med school dreams. I say just try to find ways you can inch toward your goal. Kids grow up and it will be much easier the older he/she gets and the more he/she can understand what you are doing and why. And be careful not to get pregnant again until you are ready. I agree that finding a good place for your kido to be while you study is your first order of business. Nothing else matters, if you don’t have a great place to leave your child, don’t do it, wait until they are older and in school. I am 30 and just now looking into becoming a doctor–it can wait. If you have somewhere to leave your child where you know he/she is happy, then certainly persue your premed degree, even if you have to work on it slowly and part time. Just remember, once you start you will incur huge debt and many people seem to feel trapped because they feel they need to keep going and get that dr pay to pay off the debt, even if it means their family has to suffer. There is something wrong with that, so be very careful and wise in your decisions. If you get a nursing degree, BSN, you can take a couple extra classes and have your premed req’s, and then you have a way out if your family requires. You can always go to med school later, as I’m going to try to do now. Just please think about your child’s well-being as your ultimate responsibility, because med school/residency seems to have too much power to take that away for some people. Kids are too important for that! There is nothing wrong with taking care of your child when it is time for that, and going to med school a little later. You’ll still be very young when your child is in school, unlike myself! And med schools are taking more non-traditional students, looking for well-rounded people with good experience under their belts. From what I read, there is always financial aid to pay for school. That is how I made it through nursing school, I had tons of loans and paid them all off within 2 years or so of graduation. Just be very wise with your budget and spending. Good luck to you and God bless you and your little one!

KelliKelli
    Participant

Thank you PremedRN and RNexpectingmomofa3yo for the support, I really appreciate it. The cc her where I live has a bridge program for RN wanting a BSN witha local university so I can go for my two year degree first and stat working while going for my BSN. I just wanted to know where I can go for the grants or loans. If you guys have any resources I would really like to know. Thank you so much for the support you have know idea how much it helps. I honestly think you guys are the only ones who understands. You can e-mail me with any info at calrk3776@aol.com Thanks again Kelli

KelliKelli
    Participant

Thank you PremedRN and RNexpectingmomofa3yo for the support, I really appreciate it. The cc her where I live has a bridge program for RN wanting a BSN witha local university so I can go for my two year degree first and stat working while going for my BSN. I just wanted to know where I can go for the grants or loans. If you guys have any resources I would really like to know. Thank you so much for the support you have know idea how much it helps. I honestly think you guys are the only ones who understands. You can e-mail me with any info at clark3776@aol.com Thanks again Kelli

LaramisaLaramisa
    Participant

I think the college where you’re planning to take classes should have a financial aid office that can help you apply for student loans.

drsoondrsoon
    Participant

Kelli-
    YOu can do it! One of the most successful Pediatricians in my home town was 16 with a 7 month-old baby when she left for medical school amidst a bunch of nay-sayers telling her she was crazy.
    Now she’s happily married with TEN kids (some her own, some adopted) and a GREAT mom and doctor.
    I think about her everytime I wonder if it’s possible.
    It is!

Love- Susan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.