SOOO Glad to have found this

Home Forums Premed Students SOOO Glad to have found this

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RayRay
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Please give me some advice. I am 27 years old, married, an African-American and the mother of two wonderful kids (1 and 3). I have a Masters Degree in Environmental Science and a Bachelors in Biology. I have a good career and my husband and I are doing well.

But…I am going to apply for medical school for the upcoming class entering in 2004. I am so excited and scared! I was accepted into Podiatry School in 1996 but didn’t go because I married a man in the military. We are still together and going strong!! However, I always wanted to go to medical school but for the sake of my marriage and family I made up reasons not to try.

Now, I can’t deny it any longer…I want to be a doctor (pediatrician) actually. However, I have no idea how schools will see me. I am going to take the MCAT next April but things have changed so much since undergrad. Everything is done online now! Anyone who wants to give me advice, be a mentor or just give a little support is very welcome to do so!

How will this affect my marriage and family? My husband is VERY supportive! Is anyone is a similar situation? Thanks again for listening.

Ray

efex101efex101
    Participant

Ray I am also married to a military man, and was stationed in Fayetteville, NC! It is *doable* but you have to consider a few facts. Is your husband staying in or not? will he be deployed a lot or not? can/will he support your decision when and if you are studying and need time to do so? My husband has many options but that is because he is higher enlisted NCO and he could do recruiting, teach at u-grad school for ROTC, etc. I am a senior and will also be applying next year for the entering class of ’04. Also as an African-American female there are many opportunities out there for you to network such as MMEP (at Duke). PM me if you need more info about MMEP. Just keep on with your dream but we aware of the hardships ahead specially with a military spouse…

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

I wish I had seen this post earlier, I hope you check back on the thread…

I too am a military wife (Navy). I had my path all laid out, then my husband made Chief and everything changed, we are headed to Spain! While there is a nearby medical school I am not fluent in Spanish so it isn’t an option for me.

I was all set to enter University of Washington this fall and finish the last of my pre-reqs, take the MCAT in April, and begin applying next summer. My plan was to apply to every med school that is within commuting distance to the places my husband could be stationed, and fortunately there are quite a few options. Then if I was accepted, he would seek orders to the nearby base. It certainly is a little risky, but I think as a military spouse, it may be the only way to go about it.

I think I have decided not to go to school this year at all, but to wait until we are overseas and complete my undergrad and pre-reqs through University of Maryland in Europe–looks like they have a pretty great program and offer the Physics that I need, though I don’t know what my actual degree will be in. I just can’t see going to UW this year and accumulating a lot of debt only to leave next spring without a degree.

So now I can take my time about finishing undergrad, figure out how best to take the MCAT (don’t know if it’s administered overseas, might have to come “home” to take it), then I’ll start the application process the year before we return. Thank GOD for AMCAS and the Internet!

I guess the point of my story is, as a military wife you just have to roll with it. I will be delayed a couple of years now, but I truly believe it will be worth it. Also, this way I will be completing a residency the same year my husband is thinking he will retire. So I am looking at the bright side, jumping off the fast track, and realizing that this three-year interlude might be just what I need to put my nose to the grindstone and get through medical training.

Good luck to you, feel free to pm me if you want~

Val

efex101efex101
    Participant

Val there is an MCAT overseas and it is in England just a skip and a hop away from Spain. It is online MCAT from my understanding, more info at the AAMC.ORG web page.

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Thanks for the info! I figured there must be, but I am still hoping to take it here in April–Just waiting to see how it goes.

Val

RayRay
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply…Been vacationing!!! Anyway, thanks so much for replying. I didn’t think there were many military moms out there in this field. Well, here is my “plan”. My husband will find out where his next assisgnment will be in March of 03. As you may know the MCAT will be given that April. Due to my husbands career field there are only a few places he can go. Fayetteville is a special duty assignment (ROTC instructor at FSU). We are hoping that he will end up in Dayton OH or San Antonio (already been there..loved it). So that leaves Wright State University and the UT System in San Antonio.

I believe that one of you said to roll with it…that is so true. My husband is undecided on what to do in terms of his career. He will come up for Major while at the next base. So that will decide if we get out or stay in..if he gets promoted then we will have to leave for our next assignment before I finish my last year (hence-transfer). If he doesn’t get promoted, then we are both jobless and I’ll be a student on top of that! Lord, what are we thinking! 😮 Are you following me? It’s even confusing for me. But I want to do this. He is supportive but it would be A LOT EASIER if I just wanted to keep a “regular” job. 😀 But, who ever said life was easy.

If it’s okay, let’s keep in touch..PM me please.

Oh, just to keep things more interesting…I’m thinking of applying for the Health Professionals Scholarship-I could be in the Air Force Too 😀

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Wow, you going AF too? That will be interesting! I wanted to apply to USUHS, but my husband was very discouraging. I think he couldn’t handle the idea of having to call me ma’am 🙂 I am okay with that, I understand that having two military types in the family could really make life difficult.

We will be in Spain for 3 years starting in June…That is, unless he makes LDO (enlisted to officer), which would mean a move to Pensacola from Spain after only a year then 6 months of “fork and knife” school, and then on to WHEREVER he may be sent! I am trying to be supportive of his career and whatever he wants to do, but I REALLY don’t want him to go LDO because of the horrible assignments he would get as a junior officer.

We are resigned to the fact that if I get into med-school we will probably have to be geo-separated for awhile, so I am praying that I get into a school near a base and a Grandma (University of Washington or University of South Alabama). Our plan is for him to take unaccompanied orders in that case, which would send him to some God-awful place, but he’d get extra pay and it would be a positive career move.

I just believe that it is all going to work out…I have no idea how, but so far, so good!

Best of luck to you too–Keep in touch

Val

premedmumpremedmum
    Participant

I am an Army wife and will be PCS’ing to Andrews AFB pretty soon. I plan on entering the JHU pre med post bac while living in Baltimore and he commutes to AAFB. Then I’ll apply to USUHS, JHU and UM. As well as some of the schools on DC. And then we shall see what hapens. My DH is very suportive and has stated several times for the past few years that he would be more than happy to get out if USUHS accepts me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.