Split personality?

Home Forums Premed Students Split personality?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sarah_robertssarah_roberts
    Participant

I had friends over my place the other day for New Years Eve and one of the guys said that because I have already studied accounting, economics, law and journalism and that I have a successful career, that I have a split or multiple personality just because I have decided to move into medicine.

I tried to explain that medicine has been my lifelong dream and have never had the confidence to go for it and everything else I have tried has been unsatisfying. I am not the type of person that starts and leaves something half done. I completed the B Comm and just finishing off the B journalism.

My ultimate aim is to be a GP but also write on a part time basis. Law and commerce were the wrong choices for me, but have given me good grounding for managing my own financial and legal matters.

Does anyone have some advice? Is it wrong to study different fields before finding the ‘one’ that is right? I am really confused and feel at a loss at the moment.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Why on earth would it be wrong to study different things & then decide what you really want to do? Don’t listen to people like that. They really don’t know what they are talking about. You will be a much better rounded person because of your experiences!

UCLABruinUCLABruin
    Participant

I think what you are doing is great! I see nothing wrong with being a well-rounded person. In fact, it will probably help you in the long run if/when you become a physician! Good luck to you! 🙂

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Never listen to people who make pronouncements about you based on limited knowledge, especially if it is negative! :p (I’ll take compliments where ever I can get them! 😉 )

I’m like you, I have been a caseworker, teacher, and speech therapist before realizing I wouldn’t be satisfied without being a physician. The major upside to this is that we are well-rounded, educated and mature people! Who doesn’t want that from their doctor? :goodvibes:

My Mom always says, “Don’t let the turkeys get you down!” 😎

PM me if you like!
    Theresa

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

The thing is you have to ask who cares what this guy think? he doesn’t have to live your life. I am an architect right now so you know that i have gotten my share of criticism but i have to do this for me which may mean despite what anyone else says. allot of the naysayers are the people who haven’t followed their dreams and regret it. you’ll find that most people will envy you for following your dreams.
    Stay the course. people will try to get your off track but it is you who will have to get yourself back on track.

sarah_robertssarah_roberts
    Participant

Thanks so much for all your replies. I have moved on from the comment this guy made and have decided to march on with my dream.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.