Spouses staying at home with baby

Home Forums Family & Parenting Spouses staying at home with baby

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mainemommainemom
    Participant

I am a new mother in medical school. My husband is home with my daughter now and is on leave from work. We’d both love to have him home to be with our child, but while I am in medical school, we have no other income or benefits. The only way to afford this is to take out a lot of loan money and get benefits through school. He is willing to go back to work to support the family, but we are trying to figure out a way to make this work. Is anyone else in this situation, or been in this situation in the past? Thank you for any replies!

chylothoraxchylothorax
    Participant

I’m a resident and my husband stays home with the baby now. What kind of career does yours have? Mine still manages to make a little bit of money freelancing as a graphic designer, could do more if we were really strapped for cash. However, of course you’re unlikely to find any kind of job for him that enables him to do full time child care AND make a living AND benefits. This is usually more of an issue for the stay at home moms; certain ones I know own little businesses on the side (like scrapbook stuff selling; I’m sure your husband is just frothing at the mouth to sell scrapbook stuff or Pampered Chef!) or home day care.

chylothoraxchylothorax
    Participant

also, how devoted are you to going to class all the time? If you’re in the first two years you might be able to swing something where you’re mostly home in the evenings and he could go to work then (of course, say goodbye to your marriage, but people do it).

mainemommainemom
    Participant

My husband is a software engineer, and is looking to see if he can maybe consult. I’m at the end of my second year, with rotations starting in the fall. Not to get too personal, are you just taking loan money for living expenses? That’s what we’re struggling with. Thanks so much for the reply!

mommd2bmommd2b
    Participant

mainemom,

Consider sending your husband over to the medical spouse network ( http://www.medicalspouse.org ). There are a couple of stay-at-home dads there who are making it work. One has returned to work part-time and the other is at home full-time. Both are really inspirational! In addition, there are plenty of sahm’s and work-at-home moms that might be able to throw some ideas his way.

kris

mainemommainemom
    Participant

Thanks, Kris! 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.