Start Med School over 40?

Home Forums Medical Students Start Med School over 40?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Passing this media request…

Hello, Mom MDs,
    I am a writer for More magazine–an offshoot of Ladies Home Journal for active women over 40.
    The magazine would like to feature in the magazine a woman who started med school after age 40. She can be at any stage of the process–just starting, in residency, already practicing–as long as she started school after her 40th birthday. She would need to spend 15 minutes talking to me (via phone usually easiest) and submit a photograph to the magazine. Do you know anyone who fits that description and would be willing to tell her story? Thanks very much in advance, All best, Tish Hamilton writer for More magazine tishxhamilton@aol.com 212-522-4775 908-953-9474

Laura 2006Laura 2006
    Participant

Oh rats! So close….
    I just turned 40, but I’m in Year Two of Medical School.

I like that magazine, too.

LaramisaLaramisa
    Participant

she could try opm – there are some over 40 women med students over there (even over age 50!).

Karen ParkerKaren Parker
    Participant

How about another 40 year old in Year 2? And I also have an 8 year old boy and an 11 year old girl. My kids have are my best reasons to stop studying and have fun (in psych committee it’s “regression in the service of the ego”), but I know 3rd year and residency will be tough. My concerns are with my kids to some degree, but also with my husband, who is very anxious about being a single dad for a year. I’m usually one who comforts and calms so things could get rough!

TamTam
    Participant

Hello Karen! I am glad I found you on here! I am 40 years old and want to pursue medical school. I have a 9,8,and 6 year-old, and want to start prerequisites in the fall. This has been a dream of mine for a long time, but I wanted to be home with my kids. I thought teaching would be a better career for a mom, but I have not been able to get the desire to be a pediatrition out of my mind (heart). Am I crazy for pursuing this? I feel my age is so against me, but I want to try. I too am the calming force in my family, and I have to say I am concerned about those 3rd and 4th years. Any insight you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.