Stressed about 2nd Bio exam results

Home Forums Premed Students Stressed about 2nd Bio exam results

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer_WJennifer_W
    Participant

Hi,
    I just recieved my 2nd results back from my Bio class and I got a 61! Which is 7 points down from my first one. Needless to say, I am feeling REALLY good about my self and my future right now. 🙁 I stuudied SO hard and felt well prepared when I entered the classroom, which is why I’m so frustrated 😡 . I feel like my career is over right now. I don’t want to be in my own skin right now!
    The last time I saw my instructor, he didn’t have any words of wisdom for me. He had no advice for me. But I guess will talk to him anyway.
    BTW, my pre-med adviser asked me if I wanted to make an appointment with him to over effective studying strategies, but he was only available MTW. I began thinking out loud about when I could make it in(I have a baby and I have a full course load), and he snapped at me saying he couldn’t do it any other day and that I have to make priorities. PRIORITIES???!!!!! I wanted to bite his head off and tell him I know all about priorities, thank you very much. God, some men just DON”T GET IT.
    So, is my career over, just as it barely got started? It makes me angry, other Bio instructor let ppl drop their lowest score, use notes, curve, but not mine. So, I’m being penalized for choosing the wrong instructor. Great, it’s all over now. I hate myself SO much right now. I’m going to go through a whole box of Kleenex tonight.
    Thanks for listening.
    Jen
    ——————————————————————————–

TJTJ
    Participant

Jen
    I really feel for you and actually don’t know what to say. I know how frustrated you must feel–but hang in there!!!! I know that doesn’t sound like much, but don’t let this ruin you before you’ve even gotten started. As for suggestions: go over the tests to see which questions you got wrong and if the correct answers ring a bell for you. When you look at the right answers, do you say “ooohh yeah”? Then there may be a problem with your study methods. Are you memorizing the material or making sure you understand the whole concept? That little thing will make a big difference. Biology is not something you can just memorize or your grades will be mediocre. Make sure you understand what is happening and why that happens. Another suggestion: the study guides for different tests help to explain the material…a good one to try is the GRE Biology book. Hope I was able to help a little. 🙂

SisleySisley
    Participant

How frustrating! My advice is to ask around to find out who got an A in his class last year. Then ask that person to tutor you, or ask if you could pay them for copies of their notes. Ask them what study methods they used to pass his class. Don’t stress, the test is over. Just look ahead to your next one and model the methods that last year’s A students used.

For next semester, ask around to find out who are the best teachers, what classes it’s easiest to get an A in. You can get useful tips like these in Claude Olney’s “Where There’s a Will, There’s an A.” Good luck and let us know what happens.

MaryBBMaryBB
    Participant

Jen,

I don’t know of a non-traditional student who isn’t scared to death at some level! Physics scared me; o-chem too. But somehow I’m done the pre-reqs for med school, plus extra science and other courses.

I agree with what the other’s here have said: find a good tutor, analyze these tests (i.e. for how he phrases his questions, what outright mistakes you made, what you did and didn’t understand, etc.)…find a like minded soul to study-buddie with, make up kooky stories for yourself to remember definitions and concepts, review, review, review, ETC.! Ask the prof if he has old tests to use as study review.

OK, so you flunked 2 tests and (yes) it feels like the end of your new career. It doesn’t have to be!

(When I took my first course, we had just moved to where we are now, still unpacking, and my children were starting in public school after being homeschooled til then. I got a 70 on that first bio test…I did essentially what you did on your first test! It was embarrassing…I’m adjunct faculty at another college in the same town! BUT, I dug in…got 98 for a lab average and A’s and B’s on the subsequent tests. When the lowest test was dropped, I wound up with an A for the course. You might do that too!)

How many exams are left in this course? Is the final comprehensive or “just another test”? Also, check the late drop date and talk to your professor. If you can’t pull up to at least a C, drop it. But you might be able to swing a B (maybe even an A), depending on this next test and how the prof figures the final grade. When you talk with him, don’t whine or make any excuses or appeals. (You’d sound like everyone else!) Just ask him. Tell him what you hope to accomplish and how you’re going about it…

Good luck, work hard, good luck!

Jennifer_WJennifer_W
    Participant

Thanks, guys!
    I’m going to talk to him today, and see what he thinks the problem is. It’s too late to drop the class and there’s only one more exam. I’m afraid I’m going to go in there and he’s going to tell me that maybe I’m just not meant to be a doctor.After class last night a classmate tried telling me that there are “plenty of options to explore in the realm of liberal arts.” I know she was trying to make me feel better, but she actually made me feel worse.
    I’m not giving up yet, I never was, but my adviser might tell me to do just that(he grimaced when I told I might get a c in the class :rolleyes: ). I’m just angry, because I do understand and enjoy the things he is teaching, but I just bomb his tests.
    I’m being to think that maybe I’m not very smart, after all. Sorry for rambling and thanks for listening. 🙂
    Will keep you guys posted!
    Jen

efex101efex101
    Participant

Keep your chin up, a C in one or two classes will not make or break your application. You are doing all the right things, setting up an appointment with the professor is the first step, see what he/she has to say. Also find out if you can whom in the class got a good grade and if they are approachable ask for their input. Sometimes input from other students is really helpful, they may be using other methods that may work for you as well. Do not worry and go into the next exam like you own it, and ace it. Like someone else said make sure that you understand the concepts. Simple memorization will not work with some types of questions (depends on the professor style) so that may be part of your problem. Good luck and do not let this get you down, I truly believe that you really do not have to be of superior IQ to become a physician, just a lot of hard work.

chasityjochasityjo
    Participant

i haven’t started my bio courses but what i have decided to do is if i don’t fully understand something to i am going to ask, ask, ask. I think prof. know when someone is out to succeed when they want it burned into their head and plus it shows him that no matter what it takes you are there to succeed and you want to learn. shows ambition.thihs may not help at all but as far as your career being over, you need to look at it as it being a bump in the road that you are driving right over. everytime i start feeling like tis is something i can’t do i always think of the scripture that says “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart”. i don’t know how religious you are or if you are religous at all but i know that this is Gods word and i stand on that because he said he would give it to me as long as i live for him.keep me posted
    chasity

SisleySisley
    Participant

That’s encouraging for all of us, Chastity. Thank you!

TJTJ
    Participant

Jen
    I noticed you posted from Chicago. I’m in Chicago as well. What college do you go to? And by the way… don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t accomplish your goals! If your advisor happens to suggest you can’t be a doctor, tell him thanks for his input and have a nice day- then go home and study twice as hard to prove him wrong.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.