Study habits/places

Home Forums Premed Students Study habits/places

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bekagainbekagain
    Participant

This is another one of those “what works best for you?” questions. 🙂

Where do you find you study/do homework the best and most productively? Do you have a “favorite” place to study wherever you study best? Do you find the place or the time has more of an impact on your studying?

Here is my :twocents:

I have been spending more time at my school studying and doing homework than I have in past semesters and am finding that is much easier for me to focus and be productive than at home, even if my family isn’t around. Actually, anywhere other than home is good. I don’t have all these other things to do distracting me and my mind is even clearer. Do you find this, too?

I have a table that I always sit at in a coffee shop on campus to do homework. I sat in a comfy chair by a fire one day this week and almost feel asleep. Very cozy, but not productive! 😀 At home, I almost always end up doing homework in bed – the one place I know I shouldn’t do it. I am trying to break that habit, but… :tired: So, that has been interesting…I study much better in the late morning/early afternoon and at night than early morning or evening. What about everyone else? 😉

Bekah

Jade 's MomJade’s Mom
    Participant

I have trouble studying at home too. Even when the kids are asleep I always see something that needs cleaning or remember something I have to do. I get really distracted. I’ve been doing okay studying 2-3 hours at home every night. I do all my Trig homework at school in the Math Lab. I do my best in a remote corner at the public library. I go there on Sunday afternoons and 2 nights during the week. I’m such a perfectionist that I always feel like I’m behind on studying. I’m really interested in what works for other people. There aren’t enough hours in a day! It’s really too bad we have to sleep. Thanks for starting this topic Bekah!

laceleighlaceleigh
    Participant

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!! I HAVE SPOKEN TO MANY DOCTORS AND THEIR ADVICE IS CREATING GOOD STUDY HABITS AND NOT BREAKING THEM! ONCE YOUR BODY IS IN A ROUTINE YOU WILL ABSORB THE MATERIAL FASTER AND AFTER A WHILE YOU WILL FIND THAT WE CATCH ON MUCH EASIER. THE KEY IS FINDING A PLACE WHERE YOUR MIND IS FOCUSED ON THE STUDY MATERIAL AND NOT ON OTHER NON RELATED ISSUES. WHEN I USE TO STUDY AT HOME ALMOST ANYTHING COULD DISTRACT ME. LITTLE THINGS LIKE A CAR DOOR SLAMMING NEXT DOOR, A PICTURE ON THE WALL, OR THE PHONE RINGING. NOW THAT I HAVE STARTED USING MY 2 HOUR BREAKS BETWEEN CLASSES TO STUDY AND THINGS ARE BETTER. MY ADVICE IS MAKE YOUR SCHEDULE SO THAT YOU HAVE A GAP BETWEEN YOUR CLASSES AND GO GRAB A BITE TO EAT, RELAX FOR A MOMENT, THEN STUDY BEFORE YOUR NEXT CLASS. AFTER YOUR CLASS DAY IS OVER YOU HAVE MADE THE LOAD EASIER ON YOURSELF AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE ACCOMPLISHING SOMETHING! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I guess I totally differ. I am more productive at home, in the living room, books sprawled out, television on, kids coming to and fro…and I MUST study at night. I dont watch the television, it is just part of the background. I dont know why Im like this, it might be environmental adaptation, I raise a half dozen kids! 😀

shauna ,MS,MomMD2Bshauna,MS,MomMD2B
    Participant

Originally posted by PremedRN:
    I am more productive at home, in the living room, books sprawled out, television on, kids coming to and fro…

That’s nothing short of a gift from God!

I study haven’t found my ‘study groove’ yet.

Sigh…

Shauna

MarilynMarilyn
    Participant

I do most of my studying after my kids are in bed. But I can pretty much study anywhere….with kids running around, library, bed, just where ever.

Once I focus in on something, there isn’t much that can distract me. Maybe I am lucky like that, I don’t know.

My favorite place to study is either at home on the couch or in my bed at night.

Marilyn

Juice36Juice36
    Participant

I have trouble studying at home too, but it took me a while to find a place.
    You see, I completed my premed and graduated from undergrad five years ago and have been working as a chemist. I am planning to take the April MCAT. Because I have been out of school for a while, it’s been difficult to get into the studying mood.
    I first started by going to a local undergrad university library, but found too many distraction(talking, nose level,etc. Also, I left more like a teacher than a student because of the age difference. Therefore, I decided to go to a gradute school library, which is actually a Law school library and found it much more comfortable. The students are closer to my age, or so I think 🙂 .
    Another thing I did to help with my study process, is to have my husband drop me off before he heads for work(instead of driving myself)that way I can’t just get up and leave. I am forced to study for the eight hours that he’s at work.
    This also allows me to spend the rest of night with my daugther.
    If anyone eles has any other suggest let know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.