Studying, what works best for you?

Home Forums Premed Students Studying, what works best for you?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

This post was inspiered by the favorite school supplies post from Amy, they almost go hand in hand, better organization to improve study skills. OKay, here is what works best for me when studying, especially for the sciences:
    I outline by hand every chapter, and usually pretty good at picking out of it what will be topics on the tests. I rationalize how one process leads to the rest, so in case I cant remember verbatum, I can always rely on my logic and rationale behind theories, processes etc. Yes, this outlining is pretty gruelling, and I over do it…but it definately has been a success for me in the past. I still yet have to learn the humanities classes though, it seems as though they are more subjective. Any tips?
    For the memorizing type things, like reactions, etc. I make flash cards..I learned all the amino acids this way, and whether or not they are basic and acidic at the last minute when I took cell bio. Hope these are tips for you all, and hopefully when I review your posts, I can learn from your tips too! 😀

Jen In N. GAJen In N. GA
    Participant

When studying I highlight the important material for prior to the test – then I just write & write. I need to rewrite my notes. It is not verbatum, but it is the only way that it sinks in. (I go through a lot of paper) :boggled:

bjwarrenbjwarren
    Participant

I’m with you. I must re-copy notes, have flashcards for the memorizing, and write notes in lecture. I usually tape the lectures as well and then listen to them while I exercise over and over and over.
    Also, working all the problems that I can … problems, problems, and more problems. I bought a dry erase board also and do reactions and things like genetics problems on the board. It helps more than small writing on paper, plus I get to ‘teach’ my daughter things so it keeps her occupied as well.

Brandi 😉

MarilynMarilyn
    Participant

I have discovered that I learn best by hearing and doing. So when I am reading my textbook, I read it outloud (yep everyone things I’m crazy…lol) and I tape my lectures and listen to them at least once.

For Chem and math I really have to work a lot of problems to feel confident that I understand it. Math does not come naturally to me at all. I grew up scared of math and am just now (at the age of 30!) getting over this fear, and I’m discovering that I am really not *that* bad at if if I really try. Ok that is another post….lol

To much highlighting distracts me so I just highlight the main topic and rewrite it in my own words (another way I reinforce things and understand them).

I will also read my notes into my recorder so I can listen to them once or twice before a test. I try to “teach” it to myself and my kids to if they will listen….lol

A good book that was recommended to me is called You are Smarter Than You Think. It really helped me to understand HOW I learn and therefor HOW to study and I can tell already it is really, really helping!!

Marilyn

DreyDrey
    Participant

I’m an auditory learner, so I don’t do the reading before class like you’re supposed to do. I find that I learn better if I listen to the lecture first, take good notes, and then go back and read the textbook chapters later. I think a lot of people that do the reading ahead of time feel less pressure to listen to the lecture, and then miss important points.

Note to Dana: This does NOT work in humanitites courses, because most of those courses have direct discussions about the reading, and you really do have to have read before the lecture. For humanities classes, I’ll try to think about book themes or posibilities for papers while I’m reading, and mark pages I could take quotes from with paper clips or those little sticky tabs you can buy from Post-It.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Drey! I will have a 15 page term paper due at the end of the semester in my psychology of men class. Im unanxiously awaiting.
    As for my foreign policy class..let’s just say Im boggled right now! Having to go back in time to America’s beginnings that I have forgotten to even be a quarter knowlegeable about what is going on in clas. Whoa is me.

Jade 's MomJade’s Mom
    Participant

Psychology of men? That sounds like a class I need. Ha Ha.

DreyDrey
    Participant

Psychology of men? That sounds like a class I need. Ha Ha.

Is this class being taught by a man or a woman? I have yet to meet a woman that understands men completely, but I have also yet to meet a man that understands himself, let alone other men!! :laughing:

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

YES. It IS a WOMAN who teaches the class. She did research in this area with hegemonic masculinity etc, that our society makes of men. It is cool!
    We talked about how when women (say wives) express their thoughts to men (or husbands), about our stresses and such, how often times men get frustrated, or even perceive us as “bit#hing”. Her rationale to the reason why in many cases this happens is because through the cultural/social influences that have been put on men of being the “fixers of things”, they feel like we expect them to fix it, and realize they cant fix it (thus frustration)or they know we are aware that they can’t fix it, so we must be bit#ching about them not being able to fix it. When all the while, we as women are just simply talking about things to make us feel better, dont expect them to fix anything. I find this very true in my relationship with my husband.
    We will also talk about men’s health, and why they dont seek treatment as quick as women and how they preceive their symptoms different than women. I like the class so far.
    BTW, I DROPPED that history class. I feel much better now!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.