Substance abuse and medicine

Home Forums General Discussion Substance abuse and medicine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LindseyLindsey
    Participant

Okay…so this is kind of a different topic, but I was sitting here reading these forums, noticing some pretty overwhelming stress at times, and I felt the urge to bring up the topic of substance abuse and stress. Some folks say that the rate of substance abuse is higher among physicians than in the general population and others disagree, but I don’t think many would disagree that substance abuse in this profession probably has more serious implications than in the general population. I’m sure there are some here who have struggled with this issue. And I think that we ALL have to find ways to manage stress. I was wondering how people manage stress. And I’d also like to open it up for discussions about substance abuse too if folks have something to share.

Peace~
    Lindsey

NanonNanon
    Participant

http://www.scrupulousps.com/m3ps.html

I’m just putting that link up because I’ve already written about this subject. After I posted it, I got quite a few e-mails from med students and pre-meds about their own (past) substance abuse, and how they also feel like they “transferred” their addiction from a substance to medicine.

Personally, knowing what it takes to feed an addiction makes it harder for me to imagine how I would manage both medicine and a substance abuse problem. Talk about stress!

Nanon

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Nanon,

Wow you have an amazing past. This brings me to a new thread, which I will post in introductions, please post there too!!

Sethina

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.