Suggestions?

Home Forums Premed Students Suggestions?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MDwan2bMDwan2b
    Participant

First timer in the forum. First and foremost this website is great, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and suggestions.

Well, I am starting a pre-med program this spring (2002),two semester as part-time and then fulltime. I have a 4 yr old and a very supportive husband. I am debating if I should have a baby before I apply to med-school or after med-school. I don’t mind if I don’t have another baby but I think that I would like to for my son to have a sister or brother… (Iam 28 yrs old.) I could have twins it’s in the family, so I am a bit anxious to become pregnant now. I have 3 siblings and would like for my son to have at least one… Any advice???

lynn99lynn99
    Participant

Hello
    I too am new to the forum 🙂 . I am in the same situation. I have 6 more classes before applying to med school and am contemplating another baby. I have spoken to several mom physicians and recommend you have the baby before entering med school. (Especially since you have a supportive husband)From the advice I have received, it seems your children will need you the most when they hit 9+ years. I think it will be hard no matter what the age of our children. I have a 3yo son (almost 4yo) who is very laid back and seems to adjust to change well. I know I want to be there for him when he hits those preteen years when things get rough. I hope this helps. I am looking forward to receiving advice and direction from this forum. I am sure I will need it. 🙂 [/LIST]

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

MDwan2b, I had to giggle when I read your post because I vividly remember having the same conversation with my husband and family. I had one girl (16 mos) and I wanted another child before starting med school. (I was about 1/2 way through the requirements as a post bacc) Any way, the end result was twin boys less than a year later! :laughing:

I actually did a summer research internship in the middle of that pregnancy, which ended about 4 weeks before I had to go on bedrest. It all worked out, though. I’ve had some other factors slow me down since then, and will be applying for med school this year (kids are 8, 6&6). What I mean to say is, it can be done! 😀

I believe it may be easier to have the kids before med school. Pregnancies and infants can be exhausting, I marvel at the women who have had their children during residency. But then, I used to marvel at women who had twins, so I guess it’s just a matter of dealing with what you are dealt. 🙂

Good luck! Theresa

PS- keep in mind that you will want to take extra precautions in labs, esp. chemistry, if you are trying to get pregnant or already pregnant.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.