Taking Step 2 CK while pregnant, with toddler

Home Forums Medical Students Taking Step 2 CK while pregnant, with toddler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    westcoastmdwestcoastmd
    Participant

I’m currently studying for Step 2 CK and am 24 weeks pregnant…and I have a 19 month old. And, I’m doing clinical rotations. I should hopefully have 2-3 weeks off of rotations to study.

My question is how did you structure your study time during rotations, especially those of you who were pregnant AND had a baby/child at home? I studied/took Step 1 pregnant, but it’s a completely different ball game this time around (with rotation expectations, child at home, etc). I had a super solid study plan for Step 1, plus dedicated time to study. And I was able to study 8-12 hrs/day no problem for weeks on end…this time, not so much. This situation feels so different & I don’t feel settled in my studies. So I’m hoping to gain some perspective and tips/specific plans that helped you do really well on Step 2.

I’m using UWorld as my “base” & I have various books that I reference (but I don’t really “love” one particular book for Step 2).

FWIW- I’ve done well on all my shelf exams. The issue being that my rotations have been spread a longer period of time, so I feel like I’ve forgotten material that I used to know cold. (I extended my rotations/schooling in order to accommodate having both babies and in order to avoid having a newborn when I start residency. So, I’m taking Step 2 later than I had originally anticipated.)

It is hectic right now, but the timing of all of this is actually going to work out great…it’s just crunch time at the moment and I feel like I’m floundering.

As always, I appreciate & thank you for your insights, experiences, and tips!

niashniash
    Participant

I used up all my “timeoff” (I think I had a month) studying full time for step 2. Like you, I had a lot of family obligations. Thus, I did the interviews for residency by only taking a day (made it a long weekend) off at a time, and interviewing mostly at nearby programs I could drive to. I did not get to go to a lot of interviews because my husband had to travel for his job sometimes. Ended up ranking only 6 spots. It all worked out ok in the end. Most of my classmates without any family completed all their rotations in April/May and went to Europe for vacations 😛

It is tricky because shelf exams do not require the same level of preparation as step 2 CK does.

westcoastmdwestcoastmd
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your experience, Niash.

Do you mind sharing any sort of specific study strategy you used during your month off? Or schedule? Did you feel like it was enough/you were prepared? Got the score you wanted?

I may end up having to do what you did for residency interviews, too. It’s nice to hear that it worked out for you. Thanks again.

niashniash
    Participant

Well, I studied 9-4 or 4:30 at the local library, then again from 8-11 PM. Then I took the practice test a week before the real test and was reassured so, went ahead and took it. I did this for a month straight but I also studied while on rotations at night for 2 months prior to the one month dedicated time. If you can find daycare during the daytime and spend 9-4 and then study some more at night, we you do just fine. I am a DO so I took comlex but the tests cover the same topics, just so you know. I used a qbank, did 100 questions a day and reviewed them on the same day. Then, I made notes, which I used days before the test. I did a total of 3000 qbank quesitons.

Now I am trying to figure out how to prep for step 3.

westcoastmdwestcoastmd
    Participant

Thank you! It really helps me to “see” how others with kids/families structured their studying/time. I just feel so different this time around (vs studying for Step 1) & I haven’t been in this situation before.

And, good luck on Step 3 & all of your upcoming changes!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.