the average day for a med student mommy:)

Home Forums Medical Students the average day for a med student mommy:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

🙂 for those of you who are willing to reply…

i was wondering how you go about balancing medical school and children (and hubby 😉 ). knowing how tough the medical school curriculum is, how do you manage all of your responsibilities day by day? how do the first 2 yrs of medical school differ from the last 2 yrs of medical school, and which two did you find more difficult in finding time for your family (or more difficult in general)? i know, i’m so full of questions :p …i’m just REALLY curious as to know how moms (who are PRECISELY where i want to be) in medical school go about their day, having to balance school and children. if anyone is willing to give me some info on that, i would love to know, as it will help me paint a better picture of how life will be for me in the near future. 😀

thanks!
    annie

JulieJulie
    Participant

I found that the first 2 years are very flexible and I was able to spend lots of time with the girls. If they had something going on for school or were sick, I would just skip class. This year is a little different. I’ve been in surgery for 1 1/2 weeks now and only see my kids awake for about an hour a day, unless I’m on call, then I don’t see them at all. This will only be for 8 weeks though, and I’m told that subspecialties and the rest of the clerkships are much more benign.

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your reply. I always thought that the first two years would be more difficult due to all of the studying required…but I must have been wrong. I never knew the extent of the hours required when you’re doing your clinical rotations. Sounds exciting, but at the same time exhausting. Its good to hear that you have only 8 weeks to bear with the hours. How are other subspecialties like when it comes to hours? What subspecialties are easier and which are harder? Being that you are in you 3rd yr of medical school, I completely understand how busy you are. If you can reply I would be MORE than grateful. 🙂

Wish you the best,
    Annie

RainaNoelleRainaNoelle
    Participant

I can’t answer this from experience yet as I will be starting my first year of med school one week from Monday. I can say that my school’s curriculum was a key factor in my choice to attend there. The University of Kentucky has class the first two years from 8am until noon, with two afternoons per week where you have small group meetings and such. I am really hoping that will help me to spend more time with my wonderful baby daughter Jillian. 🙂 If I can do my studying during the day, or after she goes to bed if I pick her up from daycare early, I should be able to spend a lot of time with her still. It’s still going to be hard though…we’ve been practically attached at the hip for the almost-nine-month period since she was born.

The clinical years scare the socks off me now though. Hopefully it won’t seem so bad once I’m in it. It’s only the time away from my family that I worry about though.

Best wishes to you!

Raina
    U. Kentucky – COM
    Class of 2006! 😀

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Originally posted by RainaNoelle:
    I can’t answer this from experience yet as I will be starting my first year of med school one week from Monday.

GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES!!

Sethina

perleperle
    Participant

I agree that the first two years are much more flexible than the last two. Even if your school does have class all day every day (mine did), many students felt that they learned more effectively on their own and as a rule never came to class (they really were studying though!). I volunteered in my son’s K class all through 2nd year, and was the “runner” (you know take to school, pick him up, take him here, take him there, etc). I also usually gave up at least one of the weekend days to study all day, hardcore in the library, and spent many late nights with my books after my son was sleeping.
    Third year that all came to a grinding, screeching halt. OB call was q3 or 4, no sleep, worked 120 hours one week. Surgery almost as bad, but slept more on call. The kicker was I seriously considered each of those fields because they were AWSOME fun!
    My husband really stepped up to the plate. He does construction, and is supposed to start early in the AM, however, he was able to coerce his company into starting at 8 so he could drop my son off at school. Child care expenses went up considerably during that year. Some students had to hire someone to either live with them or come at 5 am to stay w/ kids and get them off to school as the day begins at 5:30, or even earlier on surg and OB.
    If I was going to stretch things out, it would definitely be the clinical years, not the academic ones.

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Originally posted by RainaNoelle:
    I can’t answer this from experience yet as I will be starting my first year of med school one week from Monday.

Raina,

Congratulations on starting medical school! I hope it’s going well so far. I will start next year (deferred this year) and will have a 10-month old son at that point. I’m interested to hear how it goes for you. My school (Baylor) has a similar schedule.

Pam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.