the flu vaccine

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk the flu vaccine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

Would love to hear your opinions on this.

I for one am all for this vaccine. I think a killed vaccine virus (not the nasal spray) is a wonderful thing. I do not understand the big d&^* deal about the H1N1. If they had gotten it made a little quicker last season, it would have been in the combined “normal” flu vaccine and no one would have been the wiser. However, now everyone (gen public) thinks it is the devil. People don’t want to get the vaccine – they think it could cause more harm than the actual flu. How – I’m just not sure. Do we blame the Jenny McCarthy’s of this world? And why does everyone think autism comes from the flu vaccine? Haven’t studies debunked all of that?

Would love to hear opinions and thoughts…

residentmomresidentmom
    Participant

People are stupid. Seriously. Look at the recent studies that show that 95% of doctors plan to get the flu shot for themselves, but something like 40% of moms will get it for their kids. Disconnect, much? A lot of doctors also won’t take the time and effort to educate patients about it… I spend probably 5-10 minutes with each patient who declines it, to find out what is holding them back and try to debunk their myths and fears. It’s a big time investment, but I believe in the shot, so I do it. Plenty of people don’t have that time to spend, which is another whole issue. 🙂

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

You know what is completely frightening to me? I have a friend who is slighly “crunchy” read – misinformed – said her military doctor (she’s a spouse) said the flu vaccine would do more harm than good. She praises this review! Ugh. It makes me so angry to hear things like this! It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to go through medical school and not learn the correct information about vaccines and how a killed vaccine won’t hurt you. This friend is pregnant and her doctor advised her AGAINST getting the vaccine. I really do get angry about this kind of stuff!

asunshineasunshine
    Participant

Oh dear. There is even some evidence now that getting the flu while pregnant puts your baby at a higher risk of schizophrenia. Plus pregnant women are at a much higher risk of getting seriously ill from h1n1 than the general public. Argh! They even make thimerosal-free vaccines if mercury is a concern.

I was first in line to get a flu shot. I’ll be darned if I take the flu home to my babies.

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

I totally learned that in Psych last phase! It’s why winter births are associated with higher rates of schizo, because moms contracting the flu for some reason correlate with having schizophrenic children.

Yes yes! I feel like a raving lunatic about vaccines, but there is just so much misinformation out there it just boggles my mind. Ugh.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=southernmd]it makes me so angry to hear things like this! It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to go through medical school and not learn the correct information about vaccines and how a killed vaccine won’t hurt you. [/quote]

I spent part of my career in the Pharmaceutical industry and let me just say that the cause for concern IS somewhat real.

And while it’s probably libel for me to name any company specifically, let’s just say that it will be a cold day in hell before I EVER take flu mist.

kpzr /9145kpzr/9145
    Participant

I do not get angry or frustrated about this. I have found that the patients who already trust and know me are willing to accept my recommendations about vaccines and other things. However, with those that I do not have that basic trust with, it is almost a waste of time to try and talk them into it. It is similar to the breast feeding/bottle feeding thing, people pretty much have their minds made up before they see me. If people have questions, I will spend time addressing those. If they do not have questions but decline the vaccines, I supply them with websites (cdc.gov, aap.org, vaccineinformation.org) and have them sign a vaccine waiver. After all, it is up to the patient to accept or decline whatever portion of the medical care we offer.

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

That’s a really good perspective on things, kpzr! I think it is all the news articles like this one http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20/california.whooping.cough/index.html?hpt=T1

And then of course, all the studies showing the mortality rates from flu for pregnant women etc. etc. And all the false beliefs about it etc.

I just let it all get to me too much.

Path – the flu mist is supposedly more effective for the non-immunocomprised pop from my understanding, but I’ll have to claim ignorance on the pharm makings behind it. All I know is the killed vaccine is pretty much harmless. It’s the one I always get anyways. I’ve never had the mist, although I hear a rumor it is the most frequently given in the military. I may get it in the future (as long as I’m not preggo again)!

nbpnbp
    Participant

I get so mad about the vaccine naysayers, I can’t even talk about it. I should take a page from kpzr’s book and learn to live with it! If you’re interested in the whole vaccine-autism “controversy”, I highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Autisms-False-Prophets-Science-Medicine/dp/0231146361.

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=southernmd]Path – the flu mist is supposedly more effective for the non-immunocomprised pop from my understanding, but I’ll have to claim ignorance on the pharm makings behind it…………………..I may get it in the future (as long as I’m not preggo again)! [/quote]

I’ve been a Scientist for over ten years now, and did lab research the 10 years prior to that, including research in infectious diseases which I’m back to doing now. In other words, I KNOW good “science” when I see it so with that said, take it at your own risk. Maybe this is a an “I’m not an MD” thing which is perfectly cool!

southernmdsouthernmd
    Participant

RE: Path – No – it’s a “I’ll be in the military thing” and I’ll just have to take what they give me! HA! Has nothing to do with your knowledge base at all. You most definitely know more than me, but I just don’t have much control over what type of vaccine they give me in the future when I’m active duty, and I hear the mist is the most frequently given there.

nbp – Thanks for the book recommendation! I will likely order it, as this is a topic I’d really like to expand my knowledge base on. For some reason – the sheep mentality of the general public really fascinates me. I’m kind of a news junkie in general!

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

[quote=southernmd]RE: Path – No – it’s a “I’ll be in the military thing” and I’ll just have to take what they give me! HA! Has nothing to do with your knowledge base at all. You most definitely know more than me, but I just don’t have much control over what type of vaccine they give me in the future when I’m active duty, and I hear the mist is the most frequently given there. [/quote]

Opps, my Bad! Just at least try to ask for the shot! Or maybe not, that shot hurt like hell!!!

mohmmohm
    Participant

[quote=pathdr2b][quote=southernmd]it makes me so angry to hear things like this! It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to go through medical school and not learn the correct information about vaccines and how a killed vaccine won’t hurt you. [/quote]

I spent part of my career in the Pharmaceutical industry and let me just say that the cause for concern IS somewhat real.

And while it’s probably libel for me to name any company specifically, let’s just say that it will be a cold day in hell before I EVER take flu mist. [/quote]

Do you have any public information that explains your concerns? As much as I appreciate an opinion, it would be nice for everyone to review the information themselves and assess it.

EarthSkyEarthSky
    Participant

I read the pro vaccine book “Vaccinated” by Paul Offit, and while it wasn’t his intent to scare people about vaccines or the industry… he did scare me. I didn’t spend a great deal of time in research or grad school, but I was alarmed by the studies (so few, so limited) he gave to establish their safety.

It was also very startling that he shared so much about the corruption historically seen in the industry (pressure to release a vax when scientists didn’t feel sufficient safety studies had been run, etc.) and then gave no indication that there are any new regulations or protocols established to protect against that happening now or in the future.

And until I read his book, I don’t ever remember hearing anything about cancer being viral and animal cancer viruses being transmissible to humans. He said a test was run to prove that a certain vax didn’t cause cancer, but he didn’t give much detail on it. I sure hope (assume) there are more or better studies he could’ve (should’ve) cited.

I still need to go back and pull the studies he cited, and read them myself. Maybe he’s just not a good writer? Or maybe he’s not very scientifically minded, or just doesn’t know how to establish his position from a scientific standpoint?

From a historical perspective, the book was a very enjoyable read overall!

EarthSkyEarthSky
    Participant

I was wondering if there is a set of studies that “they” give out to doctors and med students regarding vax’s (or maybe a textbook or something)? Is there a way I, or any other average person, could get those titles?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.