TO CIRC OR NOT TO CIRC

Home Forums Women Physicians TO CIRC OR NOT TO CIRC

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    maggie52maggie52
    Participant

Especially if you have a boy or if you are planning to conceive-
    I was doing a circ at the parents’ request on Fri and the (pregnant) RN and I got into this discussion (both knowing the facts)… 😎

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

We refused it for both of our boys. It was a rather heated discussion at first until my husband got the facts on it and then there was no more discussion… we agreed completely.

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

Anyone out there get it done and then felt embarrassed in front of your colleagues? ( this RN was feeling that way)

psychpsych
    Participant

We had it done and were very happy with the decision. Not sure why it has to be such a big deal either way …

momof3momof3
    Participant

I had both of my boys done and do not regret the decision. I was unable to watch (due to the crying factor :guilty: ) so my husband accompanied the boys to their “snipping”.

momofchrismomofchris
    Participant

We had my son circed- at the time it wasn’t a big deal, we just figured he should look like his father. That was before I’d started clinical rotations and actually SEEN a circ. Now that I’ve had the misfortune of witnessing several of them, I wish I hadn’t done that to my poor baby. If I’m fortunate enough to have another son someday, I doubt I’ll be able to get it done knowing what a brutal procedure it is. Sure, they don’t remember anything that happens to them at that age, but it still seems needlessly cruel to put a newborn through that for what is basically a cosmetic procedure.

rydysrydys
    Participant

Both of my boys are circ’d because we are Jewish. After learning in residency how medical circ’s are done, I’ve often thought that the medical world has a lot to learn from the Jewish world. Our circumcisions are done with the baby being held on someone’s lap and the technique used takes less than a minute. Healing time is faster (3 days) and the complication rate is much lower. In addition, the baby is given sweet wine immediately after the procedure, which contains plenty of sugar to help with the pain. In addition, we wait until day 8 of life by when the clotting factors are working better. I would never put my children through a medical circumcision as there is no medical benefit from it.

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

RYDYS: I always do a dorsal pemile block and sugar wtaer on the pacifier…but what else do you do differently in the non medical one? I use a Gomco so you do not go home with any plastic bell on…but I am trying to picture what you guys do differently…do share! ( sometimes we do them in the office, therefore , day 7 or so of life, but out of convenience I think we try to get it done prior to going home.)

rydysrydys
    Participant

I’ve never actually seen one, since we are orthodox and so I can’t get close enough, but my husband described it to me. Before the actual ceremony the mohel uses a blunt probe to break the adhesions (about 10 seconds). During the ceremony itself the baby is held by a relative and the foreskin is pulled forward and then cut just above the tip of the glans. (Some mohel’s now use a shield which looks similar to a mogen clamp, but we are not allowed to use anything that will decrease bleeding.) The small amount of foreskin that is left is ripped to the base and is wrapped back around the shaft of the penis. A dressing is then placed over the site. It sounds terrible, but really only takes less than one minute! By the time the baby starts crying its over and he’s being wrapped and comforted.

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

SO where does the excess skin go ? ( I assume you meant they made one dorsal slit and then pulled the entire circumference down? Or did he make a slit and then cut around in a circle?)

rydysrydys
    Participant

The “excess” is actually only a few millimeters, and I’m not sure exactly what happens to it, but it ends up looking the same as a medical circ.

rs4rs4
    Participant

My husband and I both felt strongly about NOT circumcising our son. My husband ( a
    pediatrician) calls it “male genital mutilation”.
    I can’t imagine if he and I had disagreed about it since we both felt so srongly.

I wonder if my medschool boyfriend will circ his babies. He came by to visit me while I was on OB, the gregarious attending came by, I think assumed he was another med student and herded us both in to watch a circ. Unmedical boyfriend almost fainted….

My 7 year old has what may be phimosis (?spelling)so I am hoping this will resolve (officially it isn’t diagnosed until the age of 11). I still think I’d say no to circ if I had another son, but
    it is difficult having a “bad outcome” from our choice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.