toilet training?

Home Forums Family & Parenting toilet training?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

I need your advice, ideas, resources. anyone know where i can get velcro traning pants? how did your train your child?

EM momEM mom
    Participant

Help, help…I need advice on this topic also! I’m not sure when I should be starting (don’t want to start too soon, but don’t know what too soon is!). Thanks for any advice anyone might have!

wannaBmdwannaBmd
    Participant

Well I have three kiddo’s, the last one is finishing up potty training. I’m not an expert or anything, but here are a few things that worked for me.

Make it fun! Read to them on the potty. For boys, throw cheerios in the potty and let them aim at them. Sing songs on the potty…we even made up a potty song. :blush: My kids responded well to a treat or a sticker when they went potty. We also set goals, if they didn’t have any accidents for X many days then they could pick out a set of (princess) panties or (spiderman) underoos.

Another thing, I didn’t do this with my older two, but with my youngest we had days off, when he was sick or just having a bad day. He would actually ask “no potty train today” Well, it worked for us. I hope it helps.

Diana

sisriversisriver
    Participant

Some parents are able to train their kids early, when they are only a year old, but ours (boy and girl) trained just before age 3. We have several books that we read while they sit on the potty (I also have a 2yr old so am gearing up for this again), and there is a video at the library that goes with one of them. We found rewarding with a treat (jelly beans or M&Ms) worked. Wearing the training pants loosely, and letting them go bare-bottom around the house also helps.

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

someone sent me this: http://www.drphil.com/advice/advice.jhtml?contentId=par_pottyprintable.xml&secti on=Parenting&subsection=Infants%2FToddlers

it seems a bit extreme. i might try it over spring break. we’ll see. right now we are taking him to the potty eveyr hour, when we go and after meals. i ask him if he wants to got to the potty. if he says no i don’t force. it is still very early. i want to start some sort of reward system. i don’t want it to be food all of the time but maybe sometimes. i am going to try stickers and/or a stamp. the sitter says that she prefers a stamp.

i’d be interested to hear your opinion of dr. phil’s method ( see link above) especially from a [pediatrician’s point of view).

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

Yes, I think that Dr. Phil’s way will take a lot of time and effort, but it sounds like a good idea.

For me, I was pregnant with my second baby who was due in July – my older one was almost 2.5 at the time. In April, I was determined to potty train her because I didn’t want to have 2 kids in diapers if I could help it. I had talked to a couple of people who made it sound like potty training was so easy, “my kid was trained in one week . . .” they had said. They said to put her in panties so she can really feel it when she pees/poops. But being a bit impatient and focused on having her trained “in one week” I found myself getting upset at her when she had an accident. She would have just a panty on and I would let her go outside (our backyard) to play, her panty would be wet or there would be poop in there and she would not tell me. Or she would pee on the floor right in front of me or pee in her booster seat. :goodvibes: My baby finally got it right, and aside from a few accidents here and there, she has been potty trained ever since!

Maybe as long as you keep bringing him to the potty every day at certain times and reward him when he does it right, when it comes to spring break and you can fully devote lots of time to training him, he might be ready by then. You’re ready, but he is not. It hasn’t “clicked” yet. Or it may even happen before spring break comes – his body/mind is on his own timetable, you know? You could let him run around the neighborhood with no pants on hoping he’ll “get it” but if he’s not ready then it’ll be a lot for you to handle.

Be patient. It’ll happen, and when it does, you’ll be so proud of him 😀

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

last night i took my son to the potty several times. every time i thought about it i took him. if he grabbed his training pants, i took him. if i had to go, i took him, afte r he ate, i took him. i made sure that he wasn’t upset about it and i actually think he liked it becuase he started saying “potty” and dragging us in there. once he said it and he can lift the potty so he brought it into our bedroom where we were but by the time he sat down on it he had already wet. still he peed one time in the potty and that was a victory. i have made up my mind that i am going to take it slow. i dont’ get stresse dout as much that way.

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

okay now i’ve discovered that my son likes to be read to on the potty but he still doesn’t go on it! i figure that if he is sitting down on the potty with no diapers on for a period of time he’ll eventually go though

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

My daughter also liked to be read to especially when she was learning how to do #2 in the potty. I think it helped her to relax more and not think about what she was trying so hard to do. 🙂

CyndebmdCyndebmd
    Participant

:twocents: Is anyone familiar with Dr. John Rosemond? I used his method with my daughter (at 26 months) and my son (this weekend, at 28 months). It is called “A T-shirt and $75,” referring to allowing the child to go around naked except for a T-shirt and the $75 for the carpet cleaning. You don’t prod, force, reward or coerce. My kids each were essentially trained in one three-day weekend. They are not exceptional kids; it’s an exceptional method that worked great for me. Try Dr. Rosemond’s book, New Parent Power, for more details.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

My son has problems with constipation. He is over 3, have tried the running naked around the house, and yes, he does potty….but wont go on the toilet. I guess he prefers the floor. I force him on the toilet and he cries everytime. He had associated pooping with hurting, and the toilet reinforced that his BM was going to happen. It has been about a month now. He is getting better at me leading him to the toilet, he still cries before hand, but when he has accomplished his task, he smiles with pride because Im going bonkers with expressing how proud I am of his BM! He will lay in the floor bent over trying to prevent the BM’s if I dont lead him to the bathroom. He must have a strong sphincter. He can do that for hours, I finally caught on to what was happening. I have to get over this hump before I can get him fully trained. Any tips from anyone regarding his special circumstances?
    BTW, My daughter was potty trained at 24 months, never wet the bed or anything. They say girls are easier to train than boys. So far this has been my experience. Anyone else?

SMSM
    Participant

My first son was tinkling in his potty a little before age two and we never really put much effort into training him further. As he got closer to three I just stopped buying diapers for him and when the diapers ran out I told him that he would have to go potty on his potty chair from now on. It was funny when the diapers were all gone he begged and pleaded for an hour, and even tried to put his little brother’s newborn diaper on…then he just couldn’t hold his #2 in anymore :twocents: Anyhow, I think it really helps if the little guy or gal is able to have someone to model after. My older boys always take little Joe into the bathroom with them so he can watch how its done.

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

okay the cleaning lady just gave me some great ideas. she used to work in day care and they had a chart for each child and they got a sticker for everytime they went to the potty. when they filled up the chart they got a toy from the treasure chest.
    another way is to get a sticker to put in a sticker book when when they fill up the page they get a toy. they get to choose the sticker.

sisriversisriver
    Participant

It’s interesting to hear about all the available methods. I remembered also with my first child I purchased the book on Potty Training in a Day and tried it, but that didn’t work for us… There does seem to be a final struggle for the child that happens with the BMs as they decide to take control over it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.