tragic story

Home Forums Debates, Issues & Talk tragic story

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

http://society.guardian.co.uk/health/news/0,8363,1070819,00.html

A doctor kills herself and her baby. I cannot emphasize enough how support is needed for both mothers and physicians. Sethina

EM momEM mom
    Participant

What a horrible story, tragic AND possibly preventable. Just goes to show how important it is for every mother (regardless of any job outside motherhood) to be supported. Also very important for those of us who are physicians and spending our time and energy taking care of others to make sure and remember to take care of ourselves and our families. I think it was said best in another thread…if you feel you need help or would benefit from counseling by all means…GET IT!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Absolutely momsurg. I echo your advice to others. If anyone feels alone, suicidal or in need of help, go find it there are people there. You do not need to suffer alone. There is nothing to be ashamed of, you are an important person.

Sethina

psychpsych
    Participant

And remember the stats: 50-70% risk of major depression in women physicians. 60% risk of major depression during residency for women.

if you’ve had a previous episode of major depression, risk of postpartum depression is 33%.

if you’ve had a previous episode of postpartum depression, risk of another postpartum depression is 50%.

risk of postpartum psychosis is 0.1%. risk of postpartum psychosis if you have Bipolar I Affective Disorder (manic-depressive illness) is 33%.

Treatment works!!!!!!! Think prevention and early intervention!!!!!!!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

moved to debate forum….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.