TRANSITIONAL VS. PRELIMINARY VS. CATEGORICAL RESI DENCY PROGRAMS

Home Forums Residents TRANSITIONAL VS. PRELIMINARY VS. CATEGORICAL RESI DENCY PROGRAMS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sagun24sagun24
    Participant

PLS. PLS. PLS. CAN ANY BODY GUIDE ME WHICH IS MORE EASIER TO GET — TRANSITIONAL YEAR PROGRAM OR PRELIMINARY YEAR PROGRAM OR CATEGORICAL PROGRAM FOR INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL GRADUATES SUCH AS ME AND HAVING LESS SCORES IN BOTH USMLE STEPS. I WOULD BE VERY VERY THANKFUL IF YOU WOULD GUIDE ME

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

It depends on the city. In LA, a transitional year is not easy to come by. Actually, it’s more difficult to get a (medical) preliminary or transitional year than it is to match in a categorical FP or IM program. The reason is: there’s limited number of slots for prelim/transitional…and many specialties require them.

I’d try to apply for a categorical spot…and use a medical prelim as back up. There are also surgical prelim spots (which are a bit less competitive because there are more of ’em). Easier specialties are those with lots of postitions…such as FP, IM, and maybe even psyche. Surgery hasn’t been as tough lately, so perhaps you’d even have a good chance of matching in a surgery program.

I can only speak for LA area…things vary depending on where you wanna train (of course).

sagun24sagun24
    Participant

thanks a lot sir on helping me . i highly appreciate your nice gesture
    thanking you once again sir.

ellieellie
    Participant

I am in West Virginia and there are a lot of international grads here. I actually think that a lot of them are able to get into the prelim spots more easily, BUT I agree with Mya, apply to the categorical spots as your first choices and then put the transitional ones in as back up. by the way, there are a lot of Indian and Pakistani folks here. I’ll bet if you check out the website, you might be able to find a way to get in touch with one of them.
    Good luck!
    Ellie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.