U.C. Davis student, anyone?

Home Forums Premed Students U.C. Davis student, anyone?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Laura_ParkerLaura_Parker
    Participant

I am interested to talk to anyone who is attending UC Davis right now. I am planning to transfer to UC Davis from my community college in about 1 1/2. Are you planning to apply to UC davis medical school?

vaultdweller13vaultdweller13
    Participant

Wow what a coincidence! Here I am scouring the web looking for message boards and general info about med school and I come across a post by someone requesting info about my alma mater :}

I transferred from a local CC into UC Davis and eventually graduated with a BA. Right now I’m considering my post-bacc options for medschool but, if you have any questions about UCD just fire ’em off my way and I’ll do the best I can to answer them 🙂 Ask them here or send me a PM if you like.

Laura_ParkerLaura_Parker
    Participant

Hey! :wave:
    I am really glad to hear from you! I have lots and lots of questions! But first I want to get to know a little more about you! Sounds like you haven’t gone to medical school yet, so what Med schools are you planning to apply to? I really want to get into UC Davis Med school. (heard it’s one of the best, and it’s close to my home in Martinez–soon to be moving to El Sobrante). Are you married? Any kids? What do you eventually want to become?
    You said that you transferred to UC Davis from a CC, what CC did you go to? Did you do the transfer agreement between the two schools?
    What kind of extracurricular activities have you done, or you plan to do?
    Also, could you PLEASE please(!!!) :hyper: tell me what I should have done before applying to Med School?
    I am trying to figure out my life, because I am a nerd and I get a kick out of planning my future. :hyper:
    Do i call attending CC prereq for undergraduate school? Or do i call it pre-med? What is that part called? Then is attending UC davis my undergrad, or is it considered pre-med? :confused: I am kinda confused there.
    Well, for now that is all that i will bombard you with. I REALLY appreciate your response post! 😀 thanks!!! later!

LynnecfmdLynnecfmd
    Participant

Hi, I’m a physician in practice at Davis, CA. I grew up in Martinez, but didn’t take a direct path to med school. I went to Cal State Hayward, and got a degree in Spanish, then moved to Reno, where I returned to college and got a premed degree after I figured out what to do. I then applied to medical school, got rejected twice, then accepted at the last minute by University of Nevada, Reno. Davis wouldn’t consider me at the time, because my grades were not 4.0, is what I was told. I ended up doing residency in OB/GYN, in Milwaukee, WI, then returning to private practice in Davis. I eventually became a staff gynecologist at Student Health as a part time volunteer at UCDavis! I am now in private practice in Sacramento and still live in Davis. It’s a very interesting town, but the med school is riding on its reputation, and has difficulty providing enough clinical experiences for its students due to the HMO density in Northern California. I guess I’m sending this to you to recommend you don’t limit your choices of schools to only one!
    Good Luck!
    Lynnecfmd

Laura_ParkerLaura_Parker
    Participant

Hey, :wave:
    Wow, thanks for that reply. Could you tell me how to find out other Med Schools in CA? Doesn’t going to Med School in a different state cost more for, well, everything? I want to stay in CA anyways, I figure if I can get licensed here, I can work anywhere! 🙂
    I have to tell you I am a little disappointed to hear that I should apply to other schools. 🙁 But that is the reality part, and I was just hoping a could only apply to UC Davis Med School, and get in.
    Dangit! 😀 Oh well, If i have to attend school in So. Calif, that could actually be more fun! 😀
    Well, thanks again! later

vaultdweller13vaultdweller13
    Participant

First I have to emphasize that I’m only contemplating a career in medicine – I haven’t even started taking pre-med classes yet. Basically I’m in the information gathering stage to find out everything about medicine to see if it’s for me. If I were to start med school I would be entering as a non-traditional student.

Ok, now about my community college to UCD transfer experience: Your CC should have a counselor who specializes in transferring students to either CSU or UC. Meet with that person and tell them your goals and they’ll work out a gamelan for you. You’ll have to take the required IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) courses which are your English, History, Art, and Humanities courses, etc. With those out of the way you’ll sign a Transfer Admission Agreement finalizing the last courses you have to take before you can transfer. You’ll also have to write a personal statement about why you want to go to UCD but it’s no sweat really. Just take the required courses, do well in them, and you’ll most likely get in. While UCD is competitive, it isn’t as selective like UCLA and UCB.

As far as the campus itself, well it’s pretty large. Last I heard it was the largest of all UC campuses in terms of acreage so you’ll definitely want to bring a bike with you 😀 As a transfer student you’ll have the option of campus housing (dorms) or living on your own off campus. The dorms are OK but if you prefer peace and quiet you might want to live off campus. While you can get your own room within a dorm, that still doesn’t block out the noise of people running up and down the hallways at midnight, stereos blasting on the weekends, and just the overall noisiness of the place.

Academically speaking it was a mixed bag compared to my CC. I’d have to say the most influential instructors I had the good fortune of taking classes with were at my CC (Sierra College) At Davis you’re in a publish or perish environment and some professors aren’t very good instructors. They may love their research but their teaching/lecturing skills are lacking, in my opinion. But that doesn’t apply to all of them and of course, your mileage may vary :}

Oh and I almost forgot; UCD is on a quarter system which is much shorter than a traditional semester. You have 3 quarters at UCD: Fall, Winter, and Spring versus the two semesters at your CC. You can see what the quarter looks like here Prephaps that was one of the biggest adjustments I had to undergo when I transferred in. Long story short, whatever you do don’t fall behind in the quarter system. Stay current with your reading and assignments and you’ll be OK. Playing catch-up in the quarter system is no fun at all.

As far as the town itself, I think it’s pretty nice. Great college town feel to it, lots of old trees and conveniently located between Sacramento and the Bay Area. And no it doesn’t smell like cows 🙂

Here are some links for you.

UC Davis homepage
    UCD School of Medicine

If you’d like to hear from more UCD students, check out this UCD Livejournal community Most will gladly answer your questions but some of them can be uhh . . . a bit crass. Their input can give you insight as to what daily life is like at UCD and Davis in general. In fact their advice will be much more beneficial than one of those glossy packets that UCD sends out to prospective students 😀

annelillythannelillyth
    Participant

hi.I am new to this, sort of stumbled upon it through internet surfing. Anyways, my question is to you, because upon reading your message, it inspired me. Anyways, I’m a UCDavis undergrad, English major, and planning to attend Med school in that “nontraditional way.” My question is what kind of preparations did you have to do, considering the MCAT is nothing close to liberal arts. Did you have to take a minor in a science, like I said, I am now just considering med school, I haven’t even talked to any counselors yet, and therefore kind of weary about the future and all. Any advice, comments, are good. I just want to know the opinion of someone who’s been there, and had gone through something that I am probably going to experience soon. Thanks.

Originally posted by Lynnecfmd:
    [b] Hi, I’m a physician in practice at Davis, CA. I grew up in Martinez, but didn’t take a direct path to med school. I went to Cal State Hayward, and got a degree in Spanish, then moved to Reno, where I returned to college and got a premed degree after I figured out what to do. I then applied to medical school, got rejected twice, then accepted at the last minute by University of Nevada, Reno. Davis wouldn’t consider me at the time, because my grades were not 4.0, is what I was told. I ended up doing residency in OB/GYN, in Milwaukee, WI, then returning to private practice in Davis. I eventually became a staff gynecologist at Student Health as a part time volunteer at UCDavis! I am now in private practice in Sacramento and still live in Davis. It’s a very interesting town, but the med school is riding on its reputation, and has difficulty providing enough clinical experiences for its students due to the HMO density in Northern California. I guess I’m sending this to you to recommend you don’t limit your choices of schools to only one!
    Good Luck!
    Lynnecfmd [/b]

Melons778Melons778
    Participant

I am currently a CC student and I am almost done with my “pre-med” classes and then I will be transferring to UC DAVIS in Fall 2005. I really want to attend medical school at UC DAVIS also. :crossfingers: I wish you luck. 🙂

Dr .cshelzDr.cshelz
    Participant

Hi,

I am still undergrad but saw UC DAVIS. My hubby finished at UC DAVIS in 1994. We lived there for 2 years after that while he worked. Two of our good friends went to Medical School back then and loved it. We grew up in Antioch and Brentwood. Our family is all up there but we have been in Southern Cali for 8 years now. Good luck to you all.

Michelle

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.